Arkansas Shrine....

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I could not find the Arkansas Digest of Masonic Laws on the internet, but from the Arkansas GM's notice it appears 2.1.46 refers to hazing or the like. Does anyone know just what the brother disciplined did?

S&F

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I could not find the Arkansas Digest of Masonic Laws on the internet, but from the Arkansas GM's notice it appears 2.1.46 refers to hazing or the like. Does anyone know just what the brother disciplined did?

S&F
I don't know, but this is starting to look suspicious: first Michigan, now Arkansas. What is going on with the Shrine that Potentates are being prosecuted for masonic and civil offenses and Shrine International is standing behind them in contraversion to Grand Lodge decisions?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I disagree. I think its time Brother Masons in the Shrine remind the leaders of their organization that they ARE Masons first and they need to assert a firmer control to get their house back in order.
Oh, my Brother, you have no idea how strongly I agree with you. History, however, keeps popping up its ugly head. The Shrine International has wanted to disassociate itself with Freemasonry for some time. Now we have an Imperial Potentate who has twice refused to drop a Noble who is under the sentence of Masonic Expulsion and seems not to care if a jurisdiction or two (or more) declares their organization to be clandestine. If that is the attitude of the Imperial Divan, then how can we clean house???

edwmax

Good. Now what is Imperial doing about this???

You are asking me to read someone's mind; or Monday morning quarterback his decisions. ... I don't know the detail's of the case, neither do you, or anyone on this forum. ... It is the Members of that Temple (who are also Members of that GL) that should be taking action to handle the situation internally and not be pushed to Imperial action.

My question is: ... if the Mason/Shriner had a Masonic Trial; found guilty; and was expelled; why are the Masons (& Members of that GL) of the Shrine still supporting him (if they are ??)? ... In Michigan, there is a technicality in the Code as to when a Mason is expelled & Masonic standing when there is an appeal to the GL. ... Is there such a technicality here too?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You are asking me to read someone's mind; or Monday morning quarterback his decisions. ... I don't know the detail's of the case, neither do you, or anyone on this forum. ... It is the Members of that Temple (who are also Members of that GL) that should be taking action to handle the situation internally and not be pushed to Imperial action.

My question is: ... if the Mason/Shriner had a Masonic Trial; found guilty; and was expelled; why are the Masons (& Members of that GL) of the Shrine still supporting him (if they are ??)? ... In Michigan, there is a technicality in the Code as to when a Mason is expelled & Masonic standing when there is an appeal to the GL. ... Is there such a technicality here too?
Not sure, but reading through the comments it seems he was suspended before a trial. Not sure what the rules are there, if someone awaiting trail is stripped of being a Freemason. But with the interesting past of Arkansas GL decisions, I would not be surprised if they allow that.

edwmax

According to the Arkansas GM's letter, the Mason's immediate expulsion was ordered after the Grand Lodge Trial and expulsion was assessed. ...???...

edwmax

... I do not yet know the truth of this, .... but I read a comment on another forum which indicated this particulate Mason/Shriner is also a dual member of another GL. He is still in good standing in the other GL.

Can anyone else verify this fact?

edwmax

It appears he is a dual member and that is why the letter was also sent to the GL/GM of Iowa as well.....
Sorry, I must be missing it. All I see is 'To All Jurisdictions" ... Anyway, upon conviction a letter should have been sent to the other GL. Then expulsion there should be instanter.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
It appears he is a dual member and that is why the letter was also sent to the GL/GM of Iowa as well.....
I read that too. Just adds to the whole mess of the politics on that level. Was he suspended/expelled from there to0? I never saw an answer on that.

*edit*
If he was not suspended/expelled from there, did Arkansas remove recognition of them too?

Sorry, I must be missing it. All I see is 'To All Jurisdictions" ... Anyway, upon conviction a letter should have been sent to the other GL. Then expulsion there should be instanter.
Iowa is specifically mentioned in the fourth paragraph in the letter....