Banjo

DavisB

Anybody play the Banjo? I have been wanting to learn for a few months now. I just don't think I know enough about it to make a wise purchase yet...

johnj1582

I pick a little myself. I'd hardly consider myself a "banjoist", but I like to play around a little. There are some really nice ones out there for pretty decent prices. I recommend the Gibsons/Epiphones, mostly because they're very widely available, and the Epi's are well within most people's instrument budget. Plus, Gibson/Epiphone has always treated me pretty well. That said, I'm playing on a crappy "Harmony" 5-string banjo that my dad bought at Grandpa Pigeon's for like $50 in the late 60's. Interestingly, it actually sounds pretty good!

i'm a sick one though... I'm a classical guitarist, so I like to play Bach, Carcassi, Sor, etc. on the banjo for kicks, lol.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I was just on Craigslist for Nashville. Do a search for "banjo." Saw from a Barclay 4 sting tenor banjo for $30 in Nashville, up to as high as $5K.
Of course you'd want to be cautious and meet any seller in a public place...

Never having played anything more complicated than the plastic recorder in 4th grade, I have no idea which of the offerings were good.

S&F

DavisB

I pick a little myself. I'd hardly consider myself a "banjoist", but I like to play around a little. There are some really nice ones out there for pretty decent prices. I recommend the Gibsons/Epiphones, mostly because they're very widely available, and the Epi's are well within most people's instrument budget. Plus, Gibson/Epiphone has always treated me pretty well. That said, I'm playing on a crappy "Harmony" 5-string banjo that my dad bought at Grandpa Pigeon's for like $50 in the late 60's. Interestingly, it actually sounds pretty good!

i'm a sick one though... I'm a classical guitarist, so I like to play Bach, Carcassi, Sor, etc. on the banjo for kicks, lol.
Alright I will check out Gibson's selection.

I was just on Craigslist for Nashville. Do a search for "banjo." Saw from a Barclay 4 sting tenor banjo for $30 in Nashville, up to as high as $5K.
Of course you'd want to be cautious and meet any seller in a public place...

Never having played anything more complicated than the plastic recorder in 4th grade, I have no idea which of the offerings were good.

S&F
Thank you very much Bro. Franks. I do have some experience with instrument purchase (I play the bass guitar). Though I have not yet scoured Craigslist.

jaya

Deering and Gold Tone are some decent banjos as well. I play a little banjo but mostly play guitar.

Terry S

I'd love to learn the banjo, too. Considering how hard the bass was for me to learn (still learning) and how hard i've heard people tell me the banjo is, it may be a little too far out of reach for me. I love the sound.