Becoming a Mason

littlecat123

If you wanted to become a Mason, how does one go about it? Do you contact the lodge? Do you have to know someone and be invited in? How does it work?

SageMother

If you wanted to become a Mason, how does one go about it? Do you contact the lodge? Do you have to know someone and be invited in? How does it work?
Like religious groups, many people become Freemasons through a family connection, like a father or grand father. There are Freemason groups for young people, like the Demolays..I hope I spelled that right...that provide education to young people who are interested in learning.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Masons are not allowed to solicit for members. Therefore, as it has been said, you must ask one. Most lodges have a website, and some of them have a calender of events when the lodge is open. Most will have contact information too. It is my goal to get a links database setup soon with Grand Lodges, and eventually individual lodges.

ninikins

Thanks for that. I will also contact a masonic lodge in my area now. I did not know that this was the way to go about it.

SageMother

Masons are not allowed to solicit for members. Therefore, as it has been said, you must ask one. Most lodges have a website, and some of them have a calender of events when the lodge is open. Most will have contact information too. It is my goal to get a links database setup soon with Grand Lodges, and eventually individual lodges.

It would be nice if more groups were not allowed to solicit members. I think the world would be a nicer place.

mollyL

I've seen a bumpersticker on several cars around here that reads "2 B 1 Ask 1" and then has the square and compass insignia. That's pretty succinct!

jbigie

Like religious groups, many people become Freemasons through a family connection, like a father or grand father. There are Freemason groups for young people, like the Demolays..I hope I spelled that right...that provide education to young people who are interested in learning.
One note, Freemasons are not a religious group, though we are religious in nature. It is true that many men join because of a family connection, not through it. Masonry asks no questions about previous Masons in the family, and has no requirements for such.

DeMolay (spelled correct except for the capital M) is not a Freemason group for youth. The International Order of DeMolay, of which I am an allumni, is it's own organization. The membership requirements do not include any relation to or sponsorship by a Mason, and the members are not expected to join a Lodge when they reach the appropriate age. DeMolay was founded by a Freemason, Frank Sherman Land, and as it grew Masonic Lodges began being the sponsors of DeMolay Chapters, and there is now a bond that cements DeMolay within the Masonic Family, but they are not "Junior Masons"

mollyL

It would be nice if more groups were not allowed to solicit members. I think the world would be a nicer place.
I agree with Sage. Groups with easy-sounding platitudes and big boasts always seem to cater to the more simple-minded among us. They can get too big and destructive.