Biblical names

StoneH

Being religious and expecting that his children would be as devoted as him, my friend named all his children after names in the Bible, especially the Old Testament. Do you think that's a good idea?

G

Gary

My opinion, and my opinion only...

I think it's not all that great an idea. While I respect the thought process behind it, I'm of the opinion that we cannot control our children's destiny or their religious path.

Certainly, we can guide them and teach them what our beliefs are, but ultimately it is their decision. Naming your child after Biblical names does nothing to "brand" them with your particular beliefs.

It may work for some, but not all.

Just my two cents.

Eoin

I like a lot of Biblical names but some of them are just too, too old fashioned and would harness a child to a moniker that would cause them to be teased. It's like naming your child old fashioned names like Myrtle or Mabel and expecting them not to be teased.

Necktie

Enoch

I know a man named Enoch. Of course no one knows him by that name because he goes by his middle name. It does make things a tad bit confusing.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The wife has suggested some Old Testament Biblical names. I'm not for it though. I'm going the Irish route and naming our first boy after my Grandfather.

Eoin

Sounds good Jason. I love tradition. My wife and I were young when we had ours and thought we knew everything so we named them all completely different than family names. I sometimes wish now we had named them after loved ones.

StoneH

I think it's not all that great an idea. While I respect the thought process behind it, I'm of the opinion that we cannot control our children's destiny or their religious path.

Certainly, we can guide them and teach them what our beliefs are, but ultimately it is their decision. Naming your child after Biblical names does nothing to "brand" them with your particular beliefs.
I can't agree more with you. There is nothing wrong to teach your children about your belief system. But they will eventually find their own way which is not always the same as yours.