bourn?

FF Sparky

'to that undiscovered country, whose bourn no traveler returns' I didn't know what it meant so I did my usual quick research, finding it was used in Shakespeares 'Hamlet'. I'm curious as to what meaning everyone gets out of this? Then I will give my 2 cents on what I think it means.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We all die , we reach our destination , and there is no return . In other words , we all die and can not come back .

FF Sparky

I found a definition for 'bourn' as possibly meaning 'river', so I think there can be more meaning than death

So what I'm thinking is "bourn" being a river could be that line in life toward making ourselves 'better men' or 'undiscovered coutry' and we don't cross back to the ways we were 'no traveler returns".

What do you think?

CoachN

Builder Builder
I found a definition for 'bourn' as possibly meaning 'river', so I think there can be more meaning than death

So what I'm thinking is "bourn" being a river could be that line in life toward making ourselves 'better men' or 'undiscovered coutry' and we don't cross back to the ways we were 'no traveler returns".

What do you think?
I think you are doing your homework and it is impressively done.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
So how would this be a useful tool with this being the meaning to do our Work?
I take it as pretty straight forward . We are ALL traveling upon that LEVEL of time ........... " . We are all equal , on the level . No matter who we may be , no matter what worldly goods we may posses , when we all lay down the working tools of a busy life , we all end up at the same destination . There is no escaping it so one brother is no better than another , if he is a just and upright man he will end up in the same place as I in the end .

Take it or leave it , matters not to me , but that is how I view that passage of ritual .

FF Sparky

I take it as pretty straight forward . We are ALL traveling upon that LEVEL of time ........... " . We are all equal , on the level . No matter who we may be , no matter what worldly goods we may posses , when we all lay down the working tools of a busy life , we all end up at the same destination . There is no escaping it so one brother is no better than another , if he is a just and upright man he will end up in the same place as I in the end .

Take it or leave it , matters not to me , but that is how I view that passage of ritual .
Just for discussion sake....each of the degrees as a whole has a meaning, Now if this passage was in the MM degree I would agree whole heartedly with you. This passage is in the FC degree, so I think its meaning should be of value towards what the FC degree teaches us... Living and education

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
As I said , it does not matter to me if you agree with me or not . For the sake of discussion , I have my views , you have yours .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My apologies for the above post . I am "Masoned out" and really in need of a break from Masonry as I have had something to do concerning my lodges , Grand lodge , YR , SR and OES for almost every day for the last two or three weeks and I need get my mind on something else for awhile .

FF Sparky

My apologies for the above post . I am "Masoned out" and really in need of a break from Masonry as I have had something to do concerning my lodges , Grand lodge , YR , SR and OES for almost every day for the last two or three weeks and I need get my mind on something else for awhile .
Understood, I was wondering if everything was okay.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Death be not always literal. There are some boundaries once crossed that transform us irrevocably.
Philosophically speaking, death in this case means change. In the Degrees we go through, we learn to transform ourselves by shaping our Ashlar. We don't look back from whence we came. Theologically, it can and does take on a spiritual meaning that has already been described.

From who's bourne, this traveller will never return.

Mark Farrin

death will come in many shapes sizes and to any age of person no mater their social stature. I was in a accident which involved nearly removing my left arm as a 5 year old child, pronounced dead "DEAD" 5 times, and am here. I am still here have done many wonderful things including being a United States Marine Sgt., fathered 7 children and buried one at a very young age due to a broken heart. Yes the tiny child had a broken heart.

The real mystery is not death, no one should fear death, fear life and the many challenges it will bring you. My wonderment is what my mission in life truly may be having survived the grim reaper at the age of 5.