Build it and they will come

McKitch

I am building a home office. The company I work for has agreed to let me do about half of my work from home. I can not really start doing it until this office is finished! I am framing walls right now and building a sub floor. I just wish I could make this project move quicker!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
That is great to hear. I have to ask though, what kind of floor are you putting down?

McKitch

The floor

For the floor I have built a sub floor that is raised 6 inches off the basement floor. I used treated plywood that are 3/4 inch thick and 2x6's to brace the underside of the boards and then used a series of support beams the way you would on a deck. I have made the floor in sections so it can be removed if needed to be. I used industrial latex flooring paint to seal the sub floor. While I am building this I am keeping something in mind. Even though my basement has never flooded I want to make sure the office is up at least 6" inches. I also want to make sure repairing the office in that situation would not be too difficult.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
A bit more then I was expecting, but good thinking. I was more wondering about the flooring. I am trying to think of something for the office so the office chair does not damage the floor. I was thinking about some cheap laminate, and just replacing it when the time to sell comes.

I do not like carpet, and the plastic covers made for hardwood still get dirt and grime under them.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Jason, when I redid my den last year, I put down laminate flooring. I had carpet in the den, and the computer chair doesn't roll very well, even on one of the plastic chair mats. I am very pleased with it, and it's held up very well. You should get about 20 years out of it even with the cheaper laminates. You will probably get sick of seeing it and replace it before it gets worn out. And the cost difference between true hardwood and laminate can be staggering.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
My brother had put down the laminate and his computer chair scratched the flooring up. That is what worries me. I was thinking about putting some cheap commercial grade stuff down if I get the house. This way if it scratches it, it is not a big deal.

G

Gary

My brother had put down the laminate and his computer chair scratched the flooring up. That is what worries me. I was thinking about putting some cheap commercial grade stuff down if I get the house. This way if it scratches it, it is not a big deal.
All laminate is not created equal. I'm sure you know this but the mil thickness of the laminate is a big part of the durability. The thinner the laminate, the easier it is to damage. Also get the flooring with a pad pre-installed on it. The plain stuff doesn't work that well even with the seperate pad. At least that's been my experience.

Bike Builder

Floor

If i may ad something,
to cover the wood floor you may cover it with artificial lower price wood that sometimes can be found for the price of laminate at wholesale stores , insulate seal and protect the original floor and lay the reasonable priced flooring above it . Why not enjoy the similar but great look of the wood while protecting the house . Just a idea

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
All laminate is not created equal. I'm sure you know this but the mil thickness of the laminate is a big part of the durability. The thinner the laminate, the easier it is to damage. Also get the flooring with a pad pre-installed on it. The plain stuff doesn't work that well even with the seperate pad. At least that's been my experience.
Yeah, I did laminate in my house, all except kitchen and bathrooms. I usually buy from the guy on 19 & little, just a hair north of it. I try and get the thicker & longer warranty. I also got the thicker padding although the sales guy said it wasn't necessary with the thicker laminate. I've had good luck with them, along with my family. The only problem is I went with about 4 inch wide planks last time, and I do not like them. I'm not sure if it was because the space I put them in is larger, but they do not seem to look as good as the smaller ones I put in the bedroom.

G

Gary

Yeah, I did laminate in my house, all except kitchen and bathrooms. I usually buy from the guy on 19 & little, just a hair north of it. I try and get the thicker & longer warranty. I also got the thicker padding although the sales guy said it wasn't necessary with the thicker laminate. I've had good luck with them, along with my family. The only problem is I went with about 4 inch wide planks last time, and I do not like them. I'm not sure if it was because the space I put them in is larger, but they do not seem to look as good as the smaller ones I put in the bedroom.
Not to hijack McKitch's thread but- I may have to check that place out. I'm getting ready to do my house the same as you did but I can't convince the wife to NOT do the kitchen.

Now back on topic...