Building Boaz Book Challenge

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Question 21 What four biblical characters had significant events occur for them upon the Mountain chain where lore says our first Masonic Temple resided?
Frank, Joe, Bob and Nipsie. Wait, wait ... Biblical characters ... Well, howzabout Isaac (who was nearly sacrificed there by his dad, Abraham), Jacob (who had his dream there), and Solomon who built his temple there. So that's Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Solomon. I'm sure there are more. ;)

CoachN

Builder Builder
Frank, Joe, Bob and Nipsie. Wait, wait ... Biblical characters ... Well, howzabout Isaac (who was nearly sacrificed there by his dad, Abraham), Jacob (who had his dream there), and Solomon who built his temple there. So that's Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Solomon. I'm sure there are more. ;)
YUPPERS! There are two more that one can add to the list, if we don't include wrathful angels and prophets. Who might they be?

CoachN

Builder Builder
... Isaac (who was nearly sacrificed there by his dad, Abraham), Jacob (who had his dream there), and Solomon who built his temple there. So that's Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Solomon...
David and Ornan?
Yup! KUDOS to all!

This next question will hopefully have a lot of fun exploration:

Question 22 What were each known for and how do each reflect Masonry or Masonic Values/Ideals/Philosophy?

CoachN

Builder Builder
Question 22 What were each known for and how do each reflect Masonry or Masonic Values/Ideals/Philosophy?
Abraham - Faith in his Lord and a willingness to prove it.
Jacob - Willingness to wrestle with his Faith. Vision of God's Messengers and the connection between Heaven and Earth.
Ornan - Charity in freely offering to David his threshing-floor, cattle and grain without hesitation.
David - Equity in insisting on paying Ornan full price. Worship in the form of Building an Altar and giving suitable thanks in the form of Sacrifice to the Lord.
Solomon - Taking on David's burden to Build a place where the Lord might dwell.

Question 23 How do the Square and Compasses relate to Heaven and Earth?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Abraham - Faith in his Lord and a willingness to prove it.
Jacob - Willingness to wrestle with his Faith. Vision of God's Messengers and the connection between Heaven and Earth.
Ornan - Charity in freely offering to David his threshing-floor, cattle and grain without hesitation.
David - Equity in insisting on paying Ornan full price. Worship in the form of Building an Altar and giving suitable thanks in the form of Sacrifice to the Lord.
Solomon - Taking on David's burden to Build a place where the Lord might dwell.

I only had parts of that answer and wasn't confident enough to post it.

The Compasses are given from Heaven as the boundaries we need to stay within to reach there (as is the VSL a gift from the Heavens) and the Square is the combined effort of the P & L and we use the wisdom to now the boundaries set here on Earth. The meshing of the two creates the freestone.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Compasses = Heaven
Square = Earth​

Question 24 How does Jacob’s dream relate to the Work that Masons must do to Strengthen themselves?

FF Sparky

Question 24 How does Jacob’s dream relate to the Work that Masons must do to Strengthen themselves?
Unlike Babels attempt to reach heaven with the tower, The ladder Jacob saw in his dream came down to earth. Symbolic of being reconnected with God. With 7 rungs, 4 represent the 4 Cardinal Virtues and 3 the 3 theological virtues which are Prudence, Justice, Restraint, Courage, Faith, Hope and Charity respectfully.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Unlike Babels attempt to reach heaven with the tower, The ladder Jacob saw in his dream came down to earth. Symbolic of being reconnected with God. With 7 rungs, 4 represent the 4 Cardinal Virtues and 3 the 3 theological virtues which are Prudence, Justice, Restraint, Courage, Faith, Hope and Charity respectfully.
Yup. It is the Virtuous Rungs connecting the Left and Right hand Stringers (Columns) that Strengthen the connection between Heaven and Earth.

Question 25 What do the Key and the five pedal rose signify to Masons?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Yup. It is the Virtuous Rungs connecting the Left and Right hand Stringers (Columns) that Strengthen the connection between Heaven and Earth.

Question 25 What do the Key and the five pedal rose signify to Masons?
Where do they occur in the ritual? I don't recall them in NC (AF&AM) lectures.
That's not to say that objects such as them could not be used as teaching tools, but I have not seen them. Then again, we don't have the pencil and skirret.

S&F

CoachN

Builder Builder
Where do they occur in the ritual? I don't recall them in NC (AF&AM) lectures.
That's not to say that objects such as them could not be used as teaching tools, but I have not seen them. Then again, we don't have the pencil and skirret.

S&F
The key does appear in Ritual. Guess where?

The rose most likely does not occur in modern day USA Ritual, at least overtly, although I can tell you that some of the much older Lodges have them all over their walls.

But, now that you know that each is significant, care to take a stab at it?

FF Sparky

Here is what I learned about the 5 petal rose, hopefully I have the right understanding.....

The 5 petals of the rose represent the 5 wounds of Christ.

The rose as a whole though has a meaning of our Masonic life. As the petals of a rose opens over its lifetime to show its heart, we as Mason are opening our layers to find our core.

The rose is also the symbol of Masonries hidden mysteries.

It also represents our brotherly love

FF Sparky

The treasurer has keys, but I'm guessing it has nothing to do this money.

So I'm going to take a stab at this with out researching it.....

The key locks something up, to keep safe, the key also opens things up. Key could be a word or symbol that helps discover something else. The key can conceal to.

So going by the original question which included the 5 petal rose, I want to say the Key has to do with the hidden mysteries of Masonry as the rose does

CoachN

Builder Builder
Here is what I learned about the 5 petal rose, hopefully I have the right understanding.....

The 5 petals of the rose represent the 5 wounds of Christ.

The rose as a whole though has a meaning of our Masonic life. As the petals of a rose opens over its lifetime to show its heart, we as Mason are opening our layers to find our core.

The rose is also the symbol of Masonries hidden mysteries.

It also represents our brotherly love
The treasurer has keys, but I'm guessing it has nothing to do this money.

So I'm going to take a stab at this with out researching it.....

The key locks something up, to keep safe, the key also opens things up. Key could be a word or symbol that helps discover something else. The key can conceal to.

So going by the original question which included the 5 petal rose, I want to say the Key has to do with the hidden mysteries of Masonry as the rose does
Good stuff Brother Sparky!

From what I've read, all of the above but most especially "Secrecy." (Check out pages 72-75 Building Boaz)

FF Sparky

:4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap::4-clap: