Building Boaz Book Challenge

CoachN

Builder Builder
Question 26 32. What two phrases adorning the temple at Delphi best express the Work focus of Apprentices?

Winter

I've been here before
Building Boaz on page 117 describes the root of the word virtue as being of Latin origin and conveying the essence of strength and manliness. The root of of the word is vir and this essence is easily seen in the word virile. The connection between correct moral action and physical strength is a theme that has been often repeated in many cultures and religions.

In the 14th century (I love studying the 14th c.) the seven cardinal virtues were divided into the natural and theological.

Natural Virtues: Justice, Prudence, Temperance, and Fortitude
Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope, and Charity

It does not even take a serious student of Masonic thought to see this division in Masonic teaching.

Winter

I've been here before
The natural virtues promote a tangible physical strength in the individual as well as the society. They are the core of an ordered community. But there must be a reason to engage in the practice of the natural virtues. The theological virtues gives this direction for the natural virtues. The natural virtues are often internal and the foundation of a person's strength while the theological virtues are external and directed to those around us. Engaging in the natural virtues for the purpose of becoming closer with the divine is this direction.

This is why we see the theological virtues represented as the three principal rounds on Jacob's ladder. Developing the natural virtues within ourselves provides us with strength of character which aids us in the practice of the theological virtues towards those around us which invariably allows us to climb the metaphorical ladder and become closer to G-d.

(This is the VERY short answer. I could have rambled on a lot more about the virtues) :)

CoachN

Builder Builder
Like Button Pressed!

(This next one may be reduntant and merely give you opportunity to expand upon what you have already shared. )

Question 35. What does practicing any Virtue do for Masons?

Winter

I've been here before
The virtues are the starting point for a good man to become better. By taking these attributes and applying them to his daily life he can progress from the rough ashlar (the good man) to the perfect ashlar( the better man) to put it in Masonic terms. In essence, by internalizing these virtues and making them a part of our daily lives we grow as individuals while at the same time bettering the world around us. This is one of the (many) lessons the symbolism of the degrees is trying to impart to us. By practicing the virtues, we become not only more fit members of society, but we are making ourselves better enabled to be properly fitted in that house not built by human hands.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Like Button Pressed!

Question 36. What Fifth Perfect Point is implied by at least three if not all these Virtues?

Winter

I've been here before
According to the book in chapter ten this would be reverence. And while I agree with much of your writing on the subject in that section I am curious to hear your reasoning for this terminology.

Reverence (another great 14th century word from the latin reverentia) implies much more than just a deep respect. More importantly it conveys the feeling of awe and fear at something greater than ourselves.

Rabbi Goldwasser has a good article where he talks about how Jews are commanded to "fear G-d."
"Rather, "fearing G-d," is living life with a trembling awareness that life has meaning -- that the choices you make have consequences of ultimate significance. To "fear" G-d as a Jew means to hone within yourself an awareness of the divine Presence around you all the time. One who fears G-d in this way would never say, "It does not matter how I behave in this circumstance because no one will ever know."

This is a very important part of the Masonic ritual where we are supposed to arrive at the West Gate with an already deep reverence for the Divine. And the rituals are meant to bring that reverence to the forefront of the new Brother's character and to help him understand that he is now surrounded by like-mended men.

So while I agree with you on the importance of reverence in Masonic ritual, I question the terminology you have applied to this section as the fifth perfect point. It most likely has something to do with the appearance of "adding" to the ritual. But, as I said, I look forward to your explanation.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...So while I agree with you on the importance of reverence in Masonic ritual, I question the terminology you have applied to this section as the fifth perfect point. It most likely has something to do with the appearance of "adding" to the ritual. But, as I said, I look forward to your explanation.
Sorry for the late response. I just noticed that you posted this.

While doing research on the four Cardinal Virtues, I found that these Virtues were referred to within Plato's collective writings along with a fifth -- "piety".

Looking back at Ritual, I asked:
  1. Why is it missing? Rutual gives us enough to get us thinking outside of Ritual
  2. What must be in place for the other three Theological Virtues to exist? Piety a.k.a. Reverence
  3. What would represent this perfect point? The knees.
"Piety" was the answer and "Reverence" was the word I used to refer to it.

My response doesn't so much as add to Ritual as it points toward what Ritual alludes.

Winter

I've been here before
Thanks for that insight, Brother. Could you give me a reference to where in Plato this found? I admit it has been a while since I read his work and now my interest is piqued.