Building Boaz book discussion

G

Gary

Thanks Brother!

What chapter you up to? (if ya don't mind me askin')

(BTW - I'm about to head out now to pick up the first shipment of volume 4 - Building Janus! WAHOO!!!!!)
better hurry, the weather man says we are under a tornado watch until 9 pm. it's raining hard here in B'ville.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks Brother!

What chapter you up to? (if ya don't mind me askin')

(BTW - I'm about to head out now to pick up the first shipment of volume 4 - Building Janus! WAHOO!!!!!)
I am taking my time and enjoying it and almost finished with my first reading and will soon be starting on my second run through to pick up on the things that got past me the first time around .

I started the discussion where I did as it got me thinking , so if someone wants to get the ball rolling ......

I had to hold up on my reading this past week....I had to write two reports of wildland firefighting and Building Boaz was WAAAAAAYYYY more interesting.....wildland firefighting can be interesting but a report on how the temperature can effect the tactical decisions just was not as interesting as BB is.....

G

Gary

I had to hold up on my reading this past week....I had to write two reports of wildland firefighting and Building Boaz was WAAAAAAYYYY more interesting.....wildland firefighting can be interesting but a report on how the temperature can effect the tactical decisions just was not as interesting as BB is.....
I'd agree. My department had to get Red Card certified. Why a structural firefighter would want to venture into the woods and fight fire there is a mystery. If you ever want some good material to help with insomnia. Wildland Firefighting material is it folks.

I'm struggling to get through BB myself. Not because it's hard, but because I've been busy as well. I'm going to really put in an effort tonight, as I've actually got a night free for once!

Free NIGHT?????....... I know not what you speak of.....

I would have to say most structural FF I know only venture into the woods for one of two things....quad riding or killing something.....but definitely not to fight fires.....those wildland
FF are nuts......................

G

Gary

Free NIGHT?????....... I know not what you speak of.....

I would have to say most structural FF I know only venture into the woods for one of two things....quad riding or killing something.....but definitely not to fight fires.....those wildland
FF are nuts......................
Yep, my entire department is certified to do wildland firefighting. Been there bought the T shirt and have no desire to do it again.

Yeah, a free night... i.e. I lock myself in the bedroom and avoid all human interaction until I'm finished reading for the evening. It's about the only way I can accomplish anything of that nature these days.:rolleyes:

CoachN

Builder Builder
Brothers,

We have sent out the remaining books to those members in this group who have shown interest. The offer of book support is now closed.

Let's get the discussion going.

What are your thoughts on the Threshing-floor information? How does it fit with your view of the Work EA's are pointed toward by Ritual?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Sorry to have been away so long. The death of an old friend's daughter has been occupying my mind and more than a little of my time for the last week. But ... now I'm back!

Anyhow, Coach, I like the Threshing Floor info quite a lot. Setting aside the superfluous is indeed an important, if tricky thing. I'll assume we're talking mostly about Chapter II here, as the idea of the threshing floor, winnowing, etc. appear in different forms throughout the book. I'm still puzzled by some of the symbols you've put in the book as illustrations (p 29, for instance) but I'm working on them. I'm working from the assumption that you chose each and every illustration for a purpose.

Now, how does it fit with my view of the work? It fits well. It's reinforcing some old concepts and 'winnowing' some chaff that I've picked up over the years. I like the idea of making myself (through building my own threshing floor) into a temple of God. To extend some metaphor here, I'm entranced with the catechism on page 31 (what do Masons know these 3 acts as?) as they also refer (obliquely perhaps, but refer all the same) to Faith Hope & Charity.

CoachN

Builder Builder
... I'm still puzzled by some of the symbols you've put in the book as illustrations (p 29, for instance) but I'm working on them. I'm working from the assumption that you chose each and every illustration for a purpose.
Right you are. This illustration is a symbol that every Mason labors upon. It is also a visual symbol for the noun form of the Hebrew word "ABN." (see page 119 & 160.)
... To extend some metaphor here, I'm entranced with the catechism on page 31 (what do Masons know these 3 acts as?) as they also refer (obliquely perhaps, but refer all the same) to Faith Hope & Charity.
Yep! Great connections.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The Threshing Floor was my favorite chapter . It reminded me of my thoughts after I became a Freemason when I took the time to sit back and think about the degree(s) and take stock . I was going through some things in my life at the time that filled me with worry , but it was worry , that when I was given the proper tools showed me that they were not really important at all . I winnowed the good from the bad , and I am now the better for it , happier , calmer and more centered .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
The Threshing Floor was my favorite chapter . It reminded me of my thoughts after I became a Freemason when I took the time to sit back and think about the degree(s) and take stock . I was going through some things in my life at the time that filled me with worry , but it was worry , that when I was given the proper tools showed me that they were not really important at all . I winnowed the good from the bad , and I am now the better for it , happier , calmer and more centered .
Cool, Ash ... but may I ask you to be more book-specific? What touched you in the Threshing Floor? Which of the symbols provided spoke to you? Is the catechism sufficient to your needs/wants/thoughts? You know ... what about the book?

Now, I'm currently ruminating The Flanked Circle (it seems that I don't have a favorite chapter, just every few days something comes up that reminds me of a section of this book, so I chew on it for a while until the next one pops up). The whole concept of the flanked circle is one that's dear to my heart - I spend a lot of time on it when I'm trainin' me up some EAs.

The section of this chapter headlined Ministry (starting on page 59) comes the closest to what I think about the Flanked Circle, but does not go as far as I do when training. I spend a lot of time on the concept of ff&z, that which every apprentice should use when serving his Master. This, I find, is beautifully illustrated by the Work and by connecting the circle and ff&z, one can really make a thoughtful statement about the Craft. (You know, this is tough! How can I say this without revealing the work?) Anyhow, more on this subject as I find a way to communicate it safely. Besides, my experience and teaching have little to do with the book.

In The Flanked Circle catechism (pages 55 to 68), there are two segments that I wonder about: The Mason-Dixon Line segment and the Dollar Sign segment (both in the Pillar Talk part of the Catechism). The M-D Line part flows right in, so it doesn't really disturb me as such, but the $ piece seems completely superfluous at best and may be out of place in the writing, or the dear author may find it to be chaff and winnow it away in future editions. (Sorry, Coach, I know you ask in the frontispiece for us to cast a non-critical eye on the work, but I just can't help myself.) Neither of these sections creates any light for me, although they are interesting historical touches.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Right you are. This illustration is a symbol that every Mason labors upon. It is also a visual symbol for the noun form of the Hebrew word "ABN." (see page 119 & 160.)

Yep! Great connections.
So given what the symbol represents and I like that concept/image as I work on perfecting mine, what tradition does the symbol come from (its the historian/archaeologist in me)?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
So given what the symbol represents and I like that concept/image as I work on perfecting mine, what tradition does the symbol come from (its the historian/archaeologist in me)?
Well, Goat-boy, in the spirit of the book (and the work) allow me to say that you are focusing on a superfluity. :p Where the symbol comes from is unimportant: nowhere near as important as what the symbol means to you without the chatter of where it comes from and what it means to others. How you use the symbol is, of course, predicated on that personal meaning, not its provenance.

Tell the historian/archaeologist in you to take a back seat. This is about perpending your ashlar, not naming it.

Sings: "Everybody must get ABN'd."

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
How would one know me to be a Mason ? By the Temple that I build . And the emblem that Coach placed there on page 29 .

My first impression of the emblem on pg. 29 was a Plumb Line upon a wall (that was what popped in my head as soon as I viewed it) . When building my own temple , if I winnow away the superfluities in my life , I will have a Temple of strength , integrity and honor built upon a strong foundation .

CoachN

Builder Builder
I'm curious here.

Why do you think I emphasized "important/unimportant" rather than "good/evil" in this chapter?

CoachN

Builder Builder
If you are referring to the "square and compasses", I believe that both elements have a multitude of historical "comings" that contribute to their eventually coming together in this specific configuration.

(Although I don't have any readily available examples at present, I believe there are other paired examples available that didn't have their current meaning(s) until they were paired.)

I think though that the challenge/task for Masons is to separate them first, explore their previous symbolic uses and then bring them back together with a much deeper understanding/significance.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I'm curious here.

Why do you think I emphasized "important/unimportant" rather than "good/evil" in this chapter?
I didn't , just words I opted to use , that's all . I had something else on my mind at the time i had written it .

CoachN

Builder Builder
How would one know me to be a Mason ? By the Temple that I build . And the emblem that Coach placed there on page 29 .

My first impression of the emblem on pg. 29 was a Plumb Line upon a wall (that was what popped in my head as soon as I viewed it) . When building my own temple , if I winnow away the superfluities in my life , I will have a Temple of strength , integrity and honor built upon a strong foundation .
This symbol is a really neat one. If you can imagine a WT -- the triangular level

-- being place upon the Stone, you would have this symbol showing through the tool's center with the plumb bob dividing it perfectly in half.