Building Boaz book discussion

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
If you are referring to the "square and compasses", I believe that both elements have a multitude of historical "comings" that contribute to their eventually coming together in this specific configuration.

(Although I don't have any readily available examples at present, I believe there are other paired examples available that didn't have their current meaning(s) until they were paired.)

I think though that the challenge/task for Masons is to separate them first, explore their previous symbolic uses and then bring them back together with a much deeper understanding/significance.
In reviewing Ashlar's comments I could see that the symbol could be a fan, but by Coach's previous comments I wouldd conclude that it represents an ashlar stone.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...Now, I'm currently ruminating The Flanked Circle (it seems that I don't have a favorite chapter, just every few days something comes up that reminds me of a section of this book, so I chew on it for a while until the next one pops up). The whole concept of the flanked circle is one that's dear to my heart - I spend a lot of time on it when I'm trainin' me up some EAs.
You are going to LOVE "Building Athens." I show the F'dC throughout the entire book with a whole bunch of different applications.
...(You know, this is tough! How can I say this without revealing the work?) Anyhow, more on this subject as I find a way to communicate it safely. Besides, my experience and teaching have little to do with the book.
I found that talking about what Work Ritual points toward is safer and easier than talking about the Ritual Work Points.
...In The Flanked Circle catechism (pages 55 to 68), there are two segments that I wonder about: The Mason-Dixon Line segment and the Dollar Sign segment (both in the Pillar Talk part of the Catechism). The M-D Line part flows right in, so it doesn't really disturb me as such, but the $ piece seems completely superfluous at best and may be out of place in the writing, or the dear author may find it to be chaff and winnow it away in future editions. (Sorry, Coach, I know you ask in the frontispiece for us to cast a non-critical eye on the work, but I just can't help myself.) Neither of these sections creates any light for me, although they are interesting historical touches.
I'm delighted that you winnowed them accordingly ;)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sorry, my bad.

The "you" was meant generally to springboard off of your post.
No problem , I see what you are getting at and I will back to you on this later . My thought process was and is going along a different line this morning .

Laxguy38922

Coach, I would like to grab a copy of the book but I had a quick question. Is there a ebook version? I been trying to get all my school books and Masonic books on it.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Coach, I would like to grab a copy of the book but I had a quick question. Is there a ebook version? I been trying to get all my school books and Masonic books on it.
Thanks for sharing an interest Brother,

I've been asked this a few times since these books came out. There are no e-book versions of these books or any plans to provide them into the future.

Should this change, I shall let you know.

In the meantime, you can get Building Boaz here: http://www.coach.net/BuildingBoaz.htm

F&S,

Bro. Coach N

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I didn't , just words I opted to use , that's all . I had something else on my mind at the time i had written it .
Sorry, my bad.

The "you" was meant generally to springboard off of your post.

After some further Light (thank you Coach , we learn by asking questions) , I will stick with "important/unimportant" as I was thinking something along those lines anyway (Just was not sure of myself ) . Winnowing away those things unimportant frees up our hearts and minds to those things which are important that are needed in building a stronger Temple .

johnj1582

ok i hate to change the subject but the seven stars bit in the broached ladder catechism literally just blew my skull wide open. I don't really even know where to start.

I'd never considered the importance of the metals in quite that light, and I've CERTAINLY never connected the 7 sisters, so I really had a lightbulb moment. That whole chunk of the catechism is very interesting.

Duncan1574

ok i hate to change the subject but the seven stars bit in the broached ladder catechism literally just blew my skull wide open. I don't really even know where to start.

I'd never considered the importance of the metals in quite that light, and I've CERTAINLY never connected the 7 sisters, so I really had a lightbulb moment. That whole chunk of the catechism is very interesting.
Bro. John: no need to apologize thread jacking is very normal around this forum and you were just changing the subject of the topic of the thread not starting a conversation that has nothing to do with the thread.

When I was in England I visited a church that had Jacob's ladder as part of the architecture. Little did I know that it would become so significant now.

I have found that the metals, planets, and their relationships are used throughout many spiritual systems in the same ways that we are interpreting them in Freemasonry.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The connections with metal, stars, planets and ladders that you both are currently enjoying will have even more significance once you get to the Master's level.

G

Gary

Seven sisters eh? The Pleiades are quite the sight this time of year... :D

Duncan1574

Check out the other words on page: 114 (Building Boaz)
I did and then choose to use the start of Sullam. :)

Mostly, because of my personal experience with the Bath Abbey. There are better images of the West enterance on Google images than on their own website. The angels are ascending and descending on the same ladder, so they face both directions.

The 7 Sisters is a great example as is the "Sullam" lecture in the FC degree.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I did and then choose to use the start of Sullam. :)

Mostly, because of my personal experience with the Bath Abbey. There are better images of the West enterance on Google images than on their own website. The angels are ascending and descending on the same ladder, so they face both directions.

The 7 Sisters is a great example as is the "Sullam" lecture in the FC degree.
Yep. The "Sullam" concept is echoed throughout the Blue Lodge experience. Ya just gotta know where to look and how to look!