Building Boaz book discussion

I too love the format , Straight and to the point . My old Mentor/Student days kicked in and I found myself wanting to memorize it , LOL , which wouldn't be a bad thing .

There are many things that struck a chord with me that I will wait until the discussion begins .

I will say this , I am going to keep these titles on hand , along with your web site and send as many brothers as I can from my area your way . I think most all will appreciate the style . Many "want" to read and learn about Freemasonry but do not appreciate the writing styles of our brethren of days gone by .
Ditto......

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I now understand why I was directed to wait with patience.....

Brothers....THANK YOU very much for the gift received today in the mail.....words can not describe how this act of Brotherhood and Friendship has lifted my spirits.

I guess I better get to reading....I heard something about a test.....
What Fireman has stated 10 fold .

G

Gary

I will say that this act of covert Brotherhood and Friendship is worthy of praise from the EIEIO's:eek:.....:D
They are likely too busy reading Bro. Coach's book if they existed, and if they did... they'd have to deny it. ;)

Seriously though. There was a limited offer made a while back, and a promise was kept. Nothing more. Certain people received the books based on the conditions of that offer. Some received them already, and there is one last yet to be delivered to it's recipient.

So let's get reading folks!

It is going to be read on my down time today at the firehouse....I did get a few pages in this morning..... I tend to read for short periods then need a break.....ADHD ya know...LOL....hey...did you see that...............................................

G

Gary

Is "Scavenger Hunt" a clever way of say open book test??? LOL....
No, his format for testing is way harder than that. Try cracking the cyphers that are in every one of his books. Two words.... You won't. Well not unless you take your Adderall.

I cracked the cover, and a few of the pages of his other book. I'm still working on it.

CoachN

Builder Builder
It comes from the days of my youth when I was given a fun list to accomplish, not knowing that it was put forth for an unknown purpose.
  • Sometimes the list was to obtain worthwhile items;
  • other times it was put forth to have the participants "get to know" the territory;
  • some lists were there to develop resourcefulness.
My hope is that this one does all three for those whom participate!

The codes on the cover are interesting.... I have not even began to look into them.... I did see something one time about the symbols used....

CoachN

Builder Builder
Brothers,

I do a whole bunch of research when I write these books. There was a single I/R pair in volume I that has 16 pages of research behind it. I actually had a Brother from California who e-mailed me about that specific I/R pair and asked how I arrived at what was put forth. I sent him the research file I kept on it and shortly afterward all that I got was "WOW! I had no idea! Interesting..."

This is your time to do just this. What stood out for you? What made you go "what the ....!?" What wow'd ya? What got you baffled? bewildered? excited? curious? wanting more? Did you like the pretty pictures? Did you see anything in the pictures that made you think?

Express your experience of specific lines, responses, inqueries, sections and chapters.

This is for you!

Bro. Coach N

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
One thing that really struck a chord with me is when you asked "How would you convey what Masonry is to a total stranger" as I sometimes have struggled with this because I explain what Freemasonry is on an emotional level and that does not always serve it's purpose . Because what I take from Freemasonry may not be what someone else takes away from it and I generally speak from the heart , good or bad. (Does this make any sense ?)

Sorry if this is not an appropriate start , but it is something I would like to discuss from the book . And that I have never participated in a book discussion group , I am very impressed with this little book and can not get enough of it and really did not know where to start first .

CoachN

Builder Builder
No, that's a great start Brother.

Explaining what Freemasonry is?

I still have some trouble getting started, especially with people who are not Masons. It's like my engines are at high RPMs but I realize who I have before me is slippery pavement. I can kick it into gear but until the slip goes away, I ain't gonna go nowhere fast.

How about it Brothers? This is a good Chapter I exercise.

How would you explain to a non-mason what Masonry is? Let's collaborate if we have to.

johnj1582

well, I don't have the book... but I'll chime in on this.

Being a very young mason (25), I get asked about the fraternity a LOT.

so here's my "masonry in a nutshell":

Masonry is a dynamic experience that doesn't mean the same thing to any two masons... It is an ongoing, self-paced self-improvement course with a built in support group; a system of symbols that, each time he sees them, remind a man of who he is, who he was, who he hopes to be, and what it takes to be that man.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Yeah. What johnj1582 said. Anyhow ... I had to solve the crypto first: it's just who I am. Luckily, box & dot code is fairly common, John gives clues throughout the work as to what certain letters are (btw, John ... I LOVED the joke), AND (most importantly) the letter sequences don't change! Once I broke the code, I read the whole book in one sitting. I read it like it was a novel (I like to do that). Now I need to read it again and study some of the footnotes and then finally, a third read to pick up any issues that I missed in the first two reads. THEN I should be able to intelligently discuss the material.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Yeah. What johnj1582 said. Anyhow ... I had to solve the crypto first: it's just who I am. Luckily, box & dot code is fairly common, John gives clues throughout the work as to what certain letters are (btw, John ... I LOVED the joke),
I hope the joke wasn't too rough to figure out. ;)
AND (most importantly) the letter sequences don't change!
No major changes in code occurred in volume 2. It's pretty straight forward.
Once I broke the code, I read the whole book in one sitting. I read it like it was a novel (I like to do that). Now I need to read it again and study some of the footnotes and then finally, a third read to pick up any issues that I missed in the first two reads. THEN I should be able to intelligently discuss the material.
GOOD STRATEGY! KUDOS! I hope you have a notebook to take notes and take the time to look up some of the footnote material. It's truly rich!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Masons are like-minded men who share a common structure understanding by which they interact with each other, their family, their community, and the world. They share ideals of faith, friendship, and charity to others.

This common structure is constructed of allegory, simile, and nuance based upon the tools of a stone mason. Each tool has a second &/or third meaning that is based upon the knowledge that each Mason acquires as they progress on their personal journey of learning, knowledge, and how long they have been a Mason.

Real world example of an explaination of Freemasons. We had a very nice mideval themed dinner at the Lodge last night. I had arranged for a juggler to entertain during the event. He asked who are these people were, I explained that the men were mostly Freemasons. He asked about Freemasonry and I explained that we are good men helping each other be better men. That we have fun together and do charity work. I explained that the Rotary International does polio and clean water and the Masons support childrens diseases, that the Shriners are a Masonic group as is the Shrine Hospital. He was very interested and asked if there where any lodges in downtown Milwaukee.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I hope the joke wasn't too rough to figure out. ;)

No major changes in code occurred in volume 2. It's pretty straight forward.

GOOD STRATEGY! KUDOS! I hope you have a notebook to take notes and take the time to look up some of the footnote material. It's truly rich!
Too rough??? Bwahahahahahahah! Oh, it was rough: rough, rough, rough!

Now I'm going to have to get my hands on all of them, if for no other purpose than to solve the cryptos.

Oh, yeah ... a notebook is standard equipment. I think I just might have a Bible or two (or three or four) around the house and as at least most of the footnotes are Biblical ... of course I'm gonna look 'em up!