Can a person be Homosexual and be a Mason or Eastern star?

Cls

i know masons talk of being better men and belief in a higer power being one of the qualifications to be a Mason so i wonder does sexuality come into play

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
I find it interesting that this has been posted for a few hours and there are no responses....Might just be because it is Saturday. As far as I know and am concerned, your sexual orientation has no bearing on whether or not you can become a mason.

G

Gary

Holiday weekend... Lots of people away from their computers, and out doing stuff.

To answer the question, I agree with Bro. Liberty. I know of no reason that sexual orientation would even come into play.

Azpir8king

It would not even be a question. The pre-requsites and disqualifiers are well defined and that is NOT one of them.
Since Freemasonry is NOT a religion (but has elements of faith and reverence), there is no external force, doctrine or agenda to accept or reject a candidate on that basis.

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah, it's Halloween weekend. Otherwise, everyone here knows I'd JUMP on a post like this! LOL

Some of the men that are my closest friends and Brothers, are homosexual, and moreover, are some of the most outstanding members of the Craft.

If they place their trust in the Grand Geomatrician, who am I to judge?

Br_Eric_Hill

Here in Mississippi

We just went through this in MS. The Grand Lodge here expressly went with the Morals clause in Williams Digest...you may not be homosexual and be a freemason in Mississippi.

WOW....I will not express my pro or cons on this topic due to the controversial issue it is....I will give the GL of MS props for at least making a stand...one way or another....

Ashlar....did they just have a big vote on this in KY???

Cls

ok i was just wondering maybe thats another reason some people feel they are against the Freemasons

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Though I like to keep things in house , this has already been spread all over the internet so I guess I can answer . Yes it was brought up at our Grand Lodge communication to ban homosexuals from joining or expelling those who are already Brothers and come out of the closet from the Fraternity . It was defeated , by how much I will not say as that is something between us Ky Freemasons .

I do have problems with how it was handled . The brother who started all this has been making noise inside and outside of the Fraternity before a vote was even taken . He provided the Lexington Herald newspaper with internal Masonic documnets and turned what was him vs. a few intolerent Masons within his lodge into a "him vs. all Kentucky Freemasons " . Most of us have nothing against his sexuality , but we do have a problem with bringing in outsiders into the situation .

1tnmason

i dont think its ever come up

i don't think the question has ever come up in TN,but none of our questioares ever ask so i would think its a non issue.I have to agree with Ky mason its never open to discussion out side the craft .Im supprised they didnt bring charges and expell for that. Its not an issue for me personally.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
As far as I am concerned, if you are banning people based on sexual orientation, then you yourself have missed much of what being a mason is all about. Disgusting.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Let me play devil's advocate here . This is a sticky situation . If a man has been taught all his life that homosexuality is immoral and a sin within his religion of choice , then who are we to question his religious beliefs ? Are we not taught that nothing in Freemasonry will interfere with a Mason and his relationship with his God ? If , let's say , a devout Christian Mason follows his religious beliefs and his VSL which he believes declares homosexuality as immoral and a sin , are we to tell him to skip that part because the rest of us does not agree with it ?

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place . We are taught not to judge others for who they are , but we are also taught not to judge a man for his religious beliefs . If a man is intolerant of homosexuals just because he finds it icky and screams in the face of a gay man "You are nothing more than a flaming fa%$ot!" , then yes he is a bigot . But if a man bases his views on religious grounds and we call him a bigot , then that makes us just as bigoted .

We are looking for men who are moral and upright before God and of good repute before the world . And if a devout Chritian brother who is kind to homosexuals ( I am not talking about gun toting ,4x4 driving rednecks here) but finds homosexuality immoral based on his religious faith , then what is he to do ? What you may not see as immoral in the eyes of God may not be the same religious views held by the Brother setting next to you .

EDIT : The first two paragraphs are to show that when we judge someone for their religious beliefs makes us intolerant also and has nothing to do with speaking of religion in lodge . The final paragraph is not my views but arguements I have heard since all this went down .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Let me play devil's advocate here . This is a sticky situation . If a man has been taught all his life that homosexuality is immoral and a sin within his religion of choice , then who are we to question his religious beliefs ? Are we not taught that nothing in Freemasonry will interfere with a Mason and his relationship with his God ? If , let's say , a devout Christian Mason follows his religious beliefs and his VSL which he believes declares homosexuality as immoral and a sin , are we to tell him to skip that part because the rest of us does not agree with it ?
Indeed, we are not to question the religious ethics of ANY brother. But we are also to brook no contention. As brothers, we must sometimes remain silent about our religious ethics to insure peacefulness within our fraternity. We must always recognize the right of our brethren to believe as they will. Including those brethren who may feel differently than we do. This discussion we're having puts me in mind of a television interview I once saw with the Rev. Billy Graham: when asked about his position regarding homosexuality, he said that it was a sin. Not THE sin, not a particularly big sin, but a sin (his words). Then he reminded the interviewer that he was a sinner, too. The Christian tradition, at least, teaches that we are all sinners, that we are all imperfect. "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place . We are taught not to judge others for who they are , but we are also taught not judge a man for his religious beliefs too . If a man is intolerant of homosexuals just because or he finds it icky and screams in the face of a gay man "You are nothing more than a flaming fa%$ot!" , then yes he is a bigot . But if a man bases his views on religious grounds and we call him a bigot , then that makes us just as bigoted .
But we are also taught to have no contention, except for who can work best and agree most. There are times within our fraternal lives where we may be called upon to temporarily put our own values on the back burner for the sake of the fraternity. Not abandon them, certainly, but be silent about them when voicing those concerns might damage the peace and harmony of our fellowship. I certainly would never tell a brother how to believe, or how to worship. Conversely, within our sacred halls, I must be able to expect the same consideration from every brother. This does not mean that I am calling on a Brother to compromise his beliefs - I'm merely calling on him to be silent and circumspect.

We are looking for men who are moral and upright before God and of good repute before the world . And if a devout Christian brother who is kind to homosexuals ( I am not talking about gun toting ,4x4 driving rednecks here) but finds homosexuality immoral based on his religious faith , then what is he to do ?
He is to remember that it is not his place to judge any man, more especially a brother Mason. God alone will judge. Who can say how God will judge the gay brother? Who can say how God will judge you, or me? If any Mason finds that he cannot take another brother by the hand, in friendship, for any reason, then he must decide for himself whether or not he can truly continue to be a member of our fraternity.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Now, all the above having been typed: We must also protect our fraternity from infamy, from being defamed. If a candidate (despite his 'orientation') is involved in wanton promiscuity, then we must vote against him, if, for no other reason, to protect the reputation of Freemasonry. If our Grand Lodge (as in the case of Mississippi related above) has made the determination that no homosexual can be made a Mason, then we must vote against the gay candidate. If we live in (or visit) a jurisdiction where the sexual orientation of a candidate is not an issue, then it is not an issue (although the public behavior of a candidate should be an issue).

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The first two paragraphs were to prove a point that to call a person a bigot based on their religious stance on homosexuality is a bigot themselves and nothing to do with their speaking of religion within the lodge . Sorry I was not clear in my posting ,I broke an internet Masonic Landmark . Not all who oppose homosexuality spew obscenities at them , but it is simply their religious views and we in turn can not judge them .

He is to remember that it is not his place to judge any man, more especially a brother Mason. God alone will judge. Who can say how God will judge the gay brother? Who can say how God will judge you, or me? If any Mason finds that he cannot take another brother by the hand, in friendship, for any reason, then he must decide for himself whether or not he can truly continue to be a member of our fraternity.

I agree with you on this also . Just bringing in a different side of the arguement I have heard since all this went down in my jurisdiction and should have stated that . Again , sorry that I was not more clear , not enough coffee . I guess I am off to edit to state this .

I have to respectfully disagree with the putting ones values on the back burner for the sake of the fraternity... when you start to compromise on your values, then they no longer have any merit....none of us should ever compromise their INTERGRIY...when you loose that you have lost everything. Stand up for what you believe to be right and just.... if you feel that being a homosexual is ok...that is fine and if you do not...that is fine as well....you and only you will be the one that has to answer to God. I am sure the reason we vote the way we do is because of issues like this....

It would be interesting to know how many other GL have made a stand on this issue....I know mine doesnt have a written ruling either pro or con.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Now, all the above having been typed: We must also protect our fraternity from infamy, from being defamed. If a candidate (despite his 'orientation') is involved in wanton promiscuity, then we must vote against him, if, for no other reason, to protect the reputation of Freemasonry. If our Grand Lodge (as in the case of Mississippi related above) has made the determination that no homosexual can be made a Mason, then we must vote against the gay candidate. If we live in (or visit) a jurisdiction where the sexual orientation of a candidate is not an issue, then it is not an issue (although the public behavior of a candidate should be an issue).
I agree with this completely .

Let me play devil's advocate here . This is a sticky situation . If a man has been taught all his life that pork is immoral and a sin within his religion of choice , then who are we to question his religious beliefs ? Are we not taught that nothing in Freemasonry will interfere with a Mason and his relationship with his God ? If , let's say , a devout Christian Mason follows his religious beliefs and his VSL which he believes declares pork as immoral and a sin , are we to tell him to skip that part because the rest of us does not agree with it ?
Substitute the word 'pork' for 'homosexuality'. By the same flawed logic, Jews cannot in good conscience accept as a Mason a Christian who eats pork.

And accepting a homosexual does not interfere with any Mason's relationship with God, any more than having a brother who eats pork or works on the Sabbath does. You eat shellfish? Not in my lodge. It's a sin, says so right in Leviticus.

The whole point of Masonry is to boil life down to what we can all agree on: the Fatherhood of God. After that, the details, trappings, and beliefs of each religion is between a man and his God.

And I realize you're just using the argument used by others to defend the stance, I'm just helping to overcome said objection. :D