Can a person be Homosexual and be a Mason or Eastern star?

Winter

I've been here before
If you're not familiar with the Golden Section / Goldon Mean / Divine Proportion, I suggest a quick Google search. Really great reading!

How in the world did a thread about homosexuality twist into math.......the mind of a Mason beats to a different rythm.......oooooooo look at the squirrels....I need a MONSTER!!!.........Caffeine level going looooooooooooooowwwwww

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
How in the world did a thread about homosexuality twist into math.......the mind of a Mason beats to a different rythm.......oooooooo look at the squirrels....I need a MONSTER!!!.........Caffeine level going looooooooooooooowwwwww
Its quite easy to explain, squirrels? WHERE? OH sparkly things, did you see this on Ebay? 1920s MASONIC Triangular Pocket Watch Replica - NR! - eBay (item 390263297521 end time Nov-24-10 09:04:19 PST), I just read a book written in Middle English on Freemasons and were the Templar treasure is..,aardvarks, why are there aardvarks? caffeine, please????
Must memorizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Its quite easy to explain, squirrels? WHERE? OH sparkly things, did you see this on Ebay? 1920s MASONIC Triangular Pocket Watch Replica - NR! - eBay (item 390263297521 end time Nov-24-10 09:04:19 PST), I just read a book written in Middle English on Freemasons and were the Templar treasure is..,aardvarks, why are there aardvarks? caffeine, please????
Must memorizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Duncan , I will send you the bill for having my laptop repaired . Laughing my A** Off !. I just spit coffee all over it .

GayFreemason

Correction about Mississippi

We just went through this in MS. The Grand Lodge here expressly went with the Morals clause in Williams Digest...you may not be homosexual and be a freemason in Mississippi.
Actually the GL of MS withdrew all charges against the Brother in question. He remains an openly gay Freemason in good standing and a member of his mother lodge, of which he is a PM. There are no charges pending against him in any lodge.

There is nothing in the Laws of the GL of MS that would prohibit a gay man from being elected to receive the three degrees. According to official correspondence from the individual grand lodges the same is true for all mainstream grand jurisdictions in the continental US. Only the unfortunate bigotry of some individual masons would cause a black ball to be cast due to the sexual orientation of a potential brother.

CoachN

Builder Builder
i know masons talk of being better men and belief in a higer power being one of the qualifications to be a Mason so i wonder does sexuality come into play
Only if you want to have the next generation of Masons continue the tradition :D

GayFreemason

Freemasonry and the Law of God

Which moral code should we use? The following is copied from a post on another website.

------------------------------

Freemasonry and the "Law of God"

One often hears Brethren say that a Mason must conform to the “Law of God.” Indeed, the Digest of Laws of at least one U.S. Grand Lodge states, “Any transgression of, or want of conformity unto, the law of God or the law of the land is a Masonic offense.” The Institution of Freemasonry has from its earliest history taught a system of morality based on the Law of God.

However, Freemasonry is distinctly non-sectarian. No regular Grand Lodge in existence requires a candidate to profess any certain religious faith or creed, so long as he believes in a Supreme Being as no atheist can be made a mason. It is therefore possible to have masons of every faith.

The first charge in Anderson’s Constitutions of 1723 states:

“A Mason is obliged by his Tenure, to obey the moral Law ; and if he rightly understands the Art, he will never be a stupid Atheist, nor an irreligious Libertine. But though in ancient Times Masons were charged in every Country to be of the Religion of that Country or Nation, whatever it was, yet ’tis now thought more expedient only to oblige them to that Religion in which all Men agree, leaving their particular Opinions to themselves ; that is, to be good Men and true, or Men of Honour and Honesty, by whatever Denominations or Persuasions they may be distinguished ; whereby Masonry becomes the Center of Union, and the Means of conciliating true Friendship among Persons that must else have remained at a perpetual Distance.”

Each religion or sect has its own views on what exactly the Law of God is. To some Jews eating pork or shrimp is a serious sin. To some Muslims drinking any alcohol is a sin. To some Christians working on Sunday is a serious offense, while others believe it is a sin to ingest caffeine.

If even different sects within the same religion can not agree on what constitutes a violation of the Law of God how can an institution that accepts men of all faiths and purports itself to be the “Center of Union”? What did Anderson mean by “that religion in which all men agree”? To better answer that question one needs only look at the second edition of that same charge.

In the 1738 edition of Anderson’s Constitutions the charge is expanded slightly:

“A Mason is obliged by his tenure to observe the moral law as a true Noachide; and if he rightly understands the Craft, he will never be a stupid Atheist nor an irreligious Libertine, nor act against conscience. In ancient Times, the Christian Masons were charged to comply with the Christian usages of each country where they traveled or worked; being found in all nations, even of divers religions. They are generally charged to adhere to that religion in which all men agree (leaving each brother to his own particular opinions); that is, to be good men and true, men of honor and honesty, by whatever names, religions, or persuasions they may be distinguished; for they all agree in the three great articles of Noah, enough to preserve the cement of the lodge. Thus Masonry is the Center of Union, and the happy means of conciliating persons that otherwise must have remained at a perpetual distance.”

The “three great articles of Noah” are prohibitions against idolatry, murder, and blasphemy. Any other so called “transgressions of the Law of God” are, by definition, ecclesiastical offenses and have nothing to do with the Craft. Charges of “unmasonic conduct” based on religious beliefs have no place in a fraternity that preaches tolerance of all beliefs.

Winter

I've been here before
Intersting article, Brother. (If you are one) But, you give no provenence for this interesting article, nor any other base of reference. To drop an obviously "prepared" piece like this without any other interogatories or other stimulating points for discussion is tantamount to a drive-by posting.

Some of my closest Brothers in the Lodge are openly homosexual and they are, bar none, some of the most outstanding men that I have ever been proud to call my Brother.

While I do respect that you may reside in a jurisdiction that may not be as cordial to men of your orientation, and you may have a desire to remain anonymous for now, know that there are good Brothers and true here and you will find honest discussion and well thought out feedback on your thoughts and views.

And, p.s., there are seven laws in the Noachide, not three! :)

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
It is my opinion that sexual orientation should not have any bearing on your fitness to be made a mason. It is your own morality that decides whether you feel differently. I know several homosexual individuals who would make good masons, and if they were to petition, I would not hold that against them.
Regardless if you agree or disagree with the chosen lifestyle, unless you are the one choosing it, it should not have any bearing.
Everyone must make their own decisions in life, and ultimately reap the consequences of it. If you can stand in front of the mirror and not cringe when you see the reflection, then one day you will stand in front of the ultimate judge, and receive your due.

"Everyone must make their own decisions in life, and ultimately reap the consequences of it. If you can stand in front of the mirror and not cringe when you see the reflection, then one day you will stand in front of the ultimate judge, and receive your due"

I agree 100% with this...regardless if you are for or against the idea

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Can a gay man be a Mason?

Would a monogamist gay man in a committed relationship be less moral than a heterosexual libertine?
I don't think so.
Anyway, the rules in NC [The Code] prohibit Masons engaging in any sex outside of marriage, not just those specifically prohibited...

I've worked in the medical field for over 40 years, plenty of people there (of both sexes) gay. Never been propositioned. Period.
This is something I consider in the MYOB category.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Would a monogamist gay man in a committed relationship be less moral than a heterosexual libertine?
I don't think so.
Anyway, the rules in NC [The Code] prohibit Masons engaging in any sex outside of marriage, not just those specifically prohibited...

I've worked in the medical field for over 40 years, plenty of people there (of both sexes) gay. Never been propositioned. Period.
This is something I consider in the MYOB category.
Indeed, or as I am prone to put it: A Nunya. As in Nunya beeswax.

MOTT

I know this is an old, old thread, but I do want to correct something. A comparison has been made to a Jewish brother rejecting a Christian petitioner for eating pork. Under Jewish law, there is no prohibition against a Christian eating pork. It is not a sin. Jewish law (known as Halacha) applies only to Jews. The 7 Noachide laws are the only laws of that Halacha says are required of Gentiles.