Can some one answer?

mark

Hi,

I have a very simple question to ask here.

Wha do I answer if a commoner somes and asks me " What is Masonary?"

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Mark,
Depending upon your personal feelings, this could be answered in several ways. The most simple answer is that Masonry is a fraternity of men who meet together toward a common goal of "Making good men Better". Masonry provides charitable donations throughout the world totaling in the millions per day, this is done without expectation of recognition or retribution.
If you hold masonry more closely to your heart, you may consider that masonry is truely a "way of life" in that the virtues and lessons taught in freemasonry are ones that should govern everyones lives.
Your choice is how you wish the other individual to see you, as a member of a charitable fraternity, or as someone who tries to exemplify the upright character of himself by considering it a way of life, or both by taking the time to explain that masonry can be so much more than just an idea.
Hope that this helps and doesn't cloud the answer to your question.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
BG_TRBL said it extremely well.

I usually tell them it is one of the oldest and largest wold wide mens fraternity, based around improving ones life while doing charitable deeds.

If they ask deeper questions into it, I will try to answer the best I can.

sarah

Mark,
Depending upon your personal feelings, this could be answered in several ways. The most simple answer is that Masonry is a fraternity of men who meet together toward a common goal of "Making good men Better". Masonry provides charitable donations throughout the world totaling in the millions per day, this is done without expectation of recognition or retribution.
If you hold masonry more closely to your heart, you may consider that masonry is truely a "way of life" in that the virtues and lessons taught in freemasonry are ones that should govern everyones lives.
Your choice is how you wish the other individual to see you, as a member of a charitable fraternity, or as someone who tries to exemplify the upright character of himself by considering it a way of life, or both by taking the time to explain that masonry can be so much more than just an idea.
Hope that this helps and doesn't cloud the answer to your question.

Excellent Answer. Being new here I was wondering what exactly masonary could be.. Your answer cleared all clouds!!

sarah

On second Thoughts.What if someone asks whether it is linked or restricted to some particular religion??

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
Masonry is not linked with ANY religion, nor do we restrict membership based on religion. The petitioner must have a belief in a higher power, be of good moral character, and be vouched for by a member of the lodge he is petitioning.

Abot

Masonry is not linked with ANY religion, nor do we restrict membership based on religion. The petitioner must have a belief in a higher power, be of good moral character, and be vouched for by a member of the lodge he is petitioning.
Higher Power? Do you mean Supreme? Every religion has its own believings of Supreme. Doesnt that effect the work being done?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Supreme being is what Rustybones meant . All men who wants to petition a lodge has to believe in a supreme being . It doesn't matter which supreme being for we allow men of different religious beliefs to be Masons .

cemab4y

Masonry is an inter-faith, non-denominational, non-sectarian organization. It accepts men of many different religious and faith backgrounds. Only an avowed atheist cannot be made a mason.

Masonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion. Each individual mason is free to hold any religious beliefs that he deems necessary, according to his own conscience and faith experiece.

Freedom of thought, freedom of conscience, and supporting freedom of religion, is one of the fundamental tenets of Freemasonry. Any man who not supportive of these goals, should not consider petitioning Freemasonry.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Do masons hold their meetings in public?
There are very few opportunities for masons to hold any ritual work in public. Freemasonry does not hold any "meeting" in public, all business and ritual work is performed within the confines of the lodge room. The business and rituals are also only for the members. One of the few times you could see a masonic ritual in public would be something like a "cornerstone laying" or dedicating a building. This is a very interesting ceremony and is also open to the public.