car crash

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Good news: I sleep at home tonight.
Bad news: back to work tomorrow.

Normalcy and boredom is WAAAAY underrated!

S&F

Bob Franks

It's getting better all the time:
Her bulky dressing is off the right shoulder, and she doesn't have to wear the brace on the left knee while in bed, even though she only has 30 degrees range of motion in the knee.
She has a bed reserved in Rehab, and will be transferred tomorrow, 1/4/13. She is now complaining she has nothing to wear...

I am grateful for the support and prayers we have received from friends, coworkers, and Masonic brethren!

S&F

TH2012

Life moves on. I'am very happy, that everything has turned out for the best. I myself was in a car accident and is now a quadriplegic, paralysed from the neck down, wheelchair bound. I'am very grateful to have survived and to continue on with life's wonderful jouneys.

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
Life moves on. I'am very happy, that everything has turned out for the best. I myself was in a car accident and is now a quadriplegic, paralysed from the neck down, wheelchair bound. I'am very grateful to have survived and to continue on with life's wonderful jouneys.

S&F
Wow. What assistive technology do you use for the computer?

jaya

I had a friend in high school that became a news cameraman. He was in a car accident that left him a quadriplegic. He still does some photography. He has a camera modified so he can work it.

Bob Franks

I am so thankful for the love and the support and, most of all, the prayers I have received since posting about my wife's accident.
Yesterday, she was transferred to a rehab center at the same hospital and had her first therapy this morning.
Boredom is WAAAY underrated!

S&F

Bob Franks

She has been complaining about what clothes and shampoo I brought for her to take Rehab; she MUST be better!
The medical staff think that by Friday the 18th, she'll be able to continue rehab at a local nursing home. That'll cut about 2 hours of commuting out of my day, and I'll be able to bring the dachshunds home from our daughter's house.

S&F

Bob Franks

On Friday, the 18th, Sandi moved to a local nursing home for continued rehab. No more extra 2 hours of commuting after work!!!
We had been training on wheelchair transfers and maneuvers, but she had to leave the one she used at Wake Medical Center, and complained today that she was sick of being in bed, after 48 hours. She is waiting for a wheelchair of her own to be approved and delivered.
Our Masonic and Eastern Star Home, now called WhiteStone, started an outpatient equipment loan program a few years ago, in the local districts, and our immediate Past District Deputy Grand Master, a WhiteStone Board Member, has solicited several pieces of durable medical equipment, now stored at the lodge across town.
After a few phone calls, we got a loan of a somewhat worn, but very much appreciated wheelchair!
I hope that a few months down the road, we are able to donate the (new) wheelchair we expect to be receiving in a few days, to this fine program.
By that time, we'll probably be borrowing back a walker and a bedside commode that we donated after she had ankle surgery.

Does your grand lodge have a similar program?

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
On Friday, the 18th, Sandi moved to a local nursing home for continued rehab. No more extra 2 hours of commuting after work!!!
We had been training on wheelchair transfers and maneuvers, but she had to leave the one she used at Wake Medical Center, and complained today that she was sick of being in bed, after 48 hours. She is waiting for a wheelchair of her own to be approved and delivered.
Our Masonic and Eastern Star Home, now called WhiteStone, started an outpatient equipment loan program a few years ago, in the local districts, and our immediate Past District Deputy Grand Master, a WhiteStone Board Member, has solicited several pieces of durable medical equipment, now stored at the lodge across town.
After a few phone calls, we got a loan of a somewhat worn, but very much appreciated wheelchair!
I hope that a few months down the road, we are able to donate the (new) wheelchair we expect to be receiving in a few days, to this fine program.
By that time, we'll probably be borrowing back a walker and a bedside commode that we donated after she had ankle surgery.

Does your grand lodge have a similar program?

S&F
Our District has a medical equipment loan program. We have a hospital bed, power chair, commodes, and walkers stacked like cord wood. It does get used, but I wish more people knew about it.

Bob Franks

Our District has a medical equipment loan program. We have a hospital bed, power chair, commodes, and walkers stacked like cord wood. It does get used, but I wish more people knew about it.
WOW! Ours is just a few wheelchairs, a walker, a bedside commode, and a few canes.
Maybe a few talks at civic groups and contact with hospitals that serve the underserved would get the word out.

S&F

jaya

Whitestone is great in what it does. After visiting there I asked when I could move there. They said I was to young. The use of medical equipment on loan is a great benefit.

Bob Franks

Sandi got a wheelchair from the therapists today. As it has a little wear on it, I don't think it's really hers. She'll probably have to turn it back in when she is ambulatory.
I have the loaner chair in the car and will take it to the lodge which stores them tomorrow, when I go to Masonic Breakfast.

S&F

Bob Franks

Golly, I'd better give y'all an update...
On Wednesday, January 30th, Sandi went to Raleigh to have a last visit with the trauma surgeon in the morning and to see the orthopedist in the afternoon.
Trauma discharged her from follow up.
Ortho looked and looked at her left knee Xrays...and said the fracture was probably from years ago (!!!).
Her right shoulder replacement was healed enough to start physical therapy on it. She'll go back to ortho in 6 weeks.
They said there was no reason she couldn't leave the nursing home. She called me on the way back and said she would ask for discharge on arrival back at the nursing home. The social worked called me on my way home (I was working an hour away) and asked if I really wanted her to leave that night. I said I'd be there in under an hour.
I stopped at our daughter's house to drop off something and noticed steam coming out of the hood [the Buick is an '01 with 235K miles] and a strong sweet odor. The upper radiator hose had a transverse split. I nursed it to the parts store and then home. I'd texted Sandi that I had problems and while I was changing the hose my cell phone chirped [txt message] and rang constantly.
She thinks I like to work and talk at the same time.
We stopped at a Peruvian restaurant on the way home; it WAS our 36th anniversary!
Boredom is SOOO underrated. I would like some boredom for a while.

S&F

Bob Franks

Late update:
Physical Therapy was not able to restore range of motion and strength to Sandi's right arm, so it was abandoned.
Yesterday morning, she underwent a right Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement. Surprisingly, she felt well enough to be discharged from the hospital about 24 hours after the conclusion of surgery.
Thanks to all for prayers and good thoughts.
It's good to be home!

S&F