Catachisms after the 3rd degree

Winter

I've been here before
And the only way you will find out is to petition to join York or Scottish. :1-wink:

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Now that I've given you the flip answer, let me give you a more serious one: I can state with certainty that in the states of Alaska, Texas, and Wisconsin, there are no memory work requirements for membership in the York or Scottish Rites. In other words, no catechisms for you to return [other jurisdictions may do things differently]. HOWEVER, and it's a big however (which is why I emboldened and italicized it), if you are joining an appendant body in order to receive 'more light', then wouldn't you want to study the rituals that are supposed to give more light to you?

jaya

In NC, the only reason to return the 3rd degree catechism is to hold a chair. All officers except for Tyler and chaplain are required to have returned the 3rd. There is no requirement to give it back in going to YR or SR. I would tell any new mm to go ahead and return it.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
In NC, the only reason to return the 3rd degree catechism is to hold a chair. All officers except for Tyler and chaplain are required to have returned the 3rd. There is no requirement to give it back in going to YR or SR. I would tell any new mm to go ahead and return it.
Jaya, I hope you mean that there is 'no requirement' rather than 'no reason'. Of course there's a reason to return your MM proficiency: to be a proficient Master Mason!!!

jaya

Jaya, I hope you mean that there is 'no requirement' rather than 'no reason'. Of course there's a reason to return your MM proficiency: to be a proficient Master Mason!!!
You are right. I turned in mine less than a month after being raised and am glad that I did. However, turning in your catechism is not what makes you a proficient MM. It just shows that you can memorize something. What actually makes you a proficient MM is understanding what you memorized.

wwsjr

sebutler1234 Do you happen to know if there is Catachesims that you have to learn if you go into the york or scottish rite?

Sebutler1234,
Hey I see you are almost a neighbor! Midland Trail No.166 isn't that far away from me. I'm from Eastern Ky across the river in Ashland. I can't speak for my WV York Rite Companions yet as I have not had the opportunity to visit their York Rite Bodies, but in Kentucky, there are no Catachesims you have to put to memory. That being said, it was one of my most memorable events as of yet to go through the Royal Arch degree, and on to the Templars. Highly recommend to all Brothers.:1-smile:

Here in NZ, it is a requirement that all newly raised MM present their MM Catechism at the next regular meeting...only then are they given their Certificates.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Here in NZ, it is a requirement that all newly raised MM present their MM Catechism at the next regular meeting...only then are they given their Certificates.
What is the "Certificate?"
I was given a wallet card which affirmed that I had demonstrated my proficiency.

S&F

What is the "Certificate?"
I was given a wallet card which affirmed that I had demonstrated my proficiency.

S&F
Here in NZ we only get given a certificate, which is supposed to be used as a membership type card, but at just over the size of a normal piece of paper, most of us just hang them in our homes. I have attached a picture of my certificate below, FYI.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
You get a certificate in Ohio too. I have attached a copy of my certificate as well... modified to prevent reproduction mind you.

FMCertSMALL.jpg

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Wow, both Spongebob and Barney Rubble are Masons!!! Cool! I'll be right back, I need to post this in the Illuminati facebook page.