Catholic

Hello. I am a Roman Catholic. When I shared with my parish Priest I was interested in joining the local Mason Lodge he said I cannot remain a Catholic and be a Mason. Is this true?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
According to Church Rules, technically yes it is true. I heard the current Pope has been more open to the idea but have not seen any official communication from the Vatican to that effect.

Here's what the Vatican web site says:

CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH

DECLARATION ON MASONIC ASSOCIATIONS

It has been asked whether there has been any change in the Church’s decision in regard to Masonic associations since the new Code of Canon Law does not mention them expressly, unlike the previous Code.

This Sacred Congregation is in a position to reply that this circumstance in due to an editorial criterion which was followed also in the case of other associations likewise unmentioned inasmuch as they are contained in wider categories.

Therefore the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic association remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and therefore membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful who enrol in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.

It is not within the competence of local ecclesiastical authorities to give a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations which would imply a derogation from what has been decided above, and this in line with the Declaration of this Sacred Congregation issued on 17 February 1981 (cf. AAS 73 1981 pp. 240-241; English language edition of L’Osservatore Romano, 9March 1981).

In an audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II approved and ordered the publication of this Declaration which had been decided in an ordinary meeting of this Sacred Congregation.

Rome, from the Office of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 26 November 1983.

Joseph Card. RATZINGER
Prefect

+ Fr. Jerome Hamer, O.P.
Titular Archbishop of Lorium
Secretary

That doesn't mean there are no Catholic Masons, they each made their decisions to join after much prayer and discussion. Personally, I think the Church is completely wrong in their view but nobody elected me to be Pope (which would be tough as I'm not a Catholic).

According to Church Rules, technically yes it is true. I heard the current Pope has been more open to the idea but have not seen any official communication from the Vatican to that effect.

Here's what the Vatican web site says:

CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH

DECLARATION ON MASONIC ASSOCIATIONS

It has been asked whether there has been any change in the Church’s decision in regard to Masonic associations since the new Code of Canon Law does not mention them expressly, unlike the previous Code.

This Sacred Congregation is in a position to reply that this circumstance in due to an editorial criterion which was followed also in the case of other associations likewise unmentioned inasmuch as they are contained in wider categories.

Therefore the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic association remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and therefore membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful who enrol in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.

It is not within the competence of local ecclesiastical authorities to give a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations which would imply a derogation from what has been decided above, and this in line with the Declaration of this Sacred Congregation issued on 17 February 1981 (cf. AAS 73 1981 pp. 240-241; English language edition of L’Osservatore Romano, 9March 1981).

In an audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II approved and ordered the publication of this Declaration which had been decided in an ordinary meeting of this Sacred Congregation.

Rome, from the Office of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 26 November 1983.

Joseph Card. RATZINGER
Prefect

+ Fr. Jerome Hamer, O.P.
Titular Archbishop of Lorium
Secretary

That doesn't mean there are no Catholic Masons, they each made their decisions to join after much prayer and discussion. Personally, I think the Church is completely wrong in their view but nobody elected me to be Pope (which would be tough as I'm not a Catholic).
Thank you for the input. I could not find anything definitive when I researched it.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
This is a topic which will require the same deliberation we advise anyone considering joining the craft. We tell them to make the decision prayerfully and carefully. We absolutely would not advise you to go against your faith. Speak with your priest and others. My belief is that Masonry is not only compatible with but enhances a man's faith.

One thing I always tell men joining my lodge is that the priorities of a Mason should be: 1) Your faith and family; 2) your health; 3) your occupation ; and a distant fourth, Masonry.

Charlie Buckles

When I was going through RCIA I spoke to my priest and told him I was a Mason. He looked at me curiously and said "so you lay bricks?" He had no idea what Freemasonry was. I had to explain it to him.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
The first Masonic Funeral I delivered was on Worshipful Brother Ed [he'd served as Master of the Lodge, so he rated the honorific], who followed me into the East. The Masons waited in a room on the sidelines while the Roman Catholic Deacon [a Priest was not available] delivered the religious part of Ed's funeral. We could see him through a screen. After his part of the service, he walked directly out of the funeral home and we Masons entered the chapel and delivered our service.

It was like a case of "if I don't acknowledge you, you're not here!"

There are two other very active RC Masons in my lodge, one is a past master.
Every man must make his own decision on whether to petition to join the Lodge.

S&F