Catholics Opposing Masonry

littlecat123

I just read that Catholics have long opposed FreeMasonry.

I have to say, that just seems ridiculous. What is the point of frowning on a society that recognizes God and holds its members to high moral standards.

(Being a Catholic, I find this particulary troubling).

Odd that they would support Knights of Columbus though.

SageMother

I just read that Catholics have long opposed FreeMasonry.

I have to say, that just seems ridiculous. What is the point of frowning on a society that recognizes God and holds its members to high moral standards.

(Being a Catholic, I find this particulary troubling).

Odd that they would support Knights of Columbus though.
I heard they oppose Freemasonry because it doesn't require the recognition of the Christian version of god.

Squash Cop

From Wikipedia: Since the early 1700s, the Vatican has issued several papal bulls forbidding Catholics from becoming Freemasons under threat of excommunication. The Church argues that Masonic philosophy discourages Christian dogmatism, and that it is anti-clerical in intent.

And: The Order of the Knights of Columbus is the world's largest Catholic fraternal service organization. Founded in the United States in 1882, it is named in honor of Christopher Columbus and dedicated to the principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism. There are more than 1.7 million members in 14,000 councils, with nearly 200 councils on college campuses. Membership is limited to practical Catholic men aged 18 or older.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Christians have come up with various reasons over the years of why Freemasonry was "evil". One reason is they believed Freemasonry was practicing Deism. Due to the religious tolerance in Freemasonry it was believed they questioned Christian beliefs. But religious discussion is often forbidden in a lodge.

There have been writers like Albert Mackey, Manley Hall, Albert Pike and others who have written lots of tales about Freemasonry. They have tried linking it to pagan rites and ancient religions. Some said Masons practiced magick, alchemy and mysticism.

Then there are those who tried to link Freemasonry to the devil.

Catholics were forbidden by the Vatican from joining since 1738. In 1882 Father Michael McGivny started Knights of Columbus. At this time there was a strong anti-Catholic sentiment in the United States. This started as a way for Catholics to have a fraternity and a sense of public pride. It is only open to Catholics. They also take strong positions on social issues, and have a central governing body.