Chapeau

Lax67

What is the significance of the KT chapeau? I saw some pictures of English KT and they wear a tudor-style cap similiar to the SR. So I'm curious as to why the American KT goes with that style.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We wear the "tudor-style" cap and mantles as none of us wanted to wear those huge feathered chapeaus or spend all that money on uniforms . Freemasonry will nickle and dime a man to death , so we supply everything a YR Mason would need , including swords .

As for why , I would guess that it was for pomp of it all .

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
In Idaho, we primarily use the Chapeau. Much of what is the Commandery uniform stems from Civil War era as after the war there was a big push for naval/military style uniform to be worn in Templar Masonry, and other such chivalric organizations. Thus you see a similarity between Knights of Columbus and the Masonic Templars.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In Idaho, we primarily use the Chapeau. Much of what is the Commandery uniform stems from Civil War era as after the war there was a big push for naval/military style uniform to be worn in Templar Masonry, and other such chivalric organizations. Thus you see a similarity between Knights of Columbus and the Masonic Templars.
True , I have a paper around here somewhere concerning this topic with names of all the groups who wore uniforms similar to KTs' but I can not find it .

I had my fill of uniforms in the Marine Corps . We are the only Commandery whom wears mantles in my district , we are stubborn that way . It is odd having visitors in their uniforms , many of the big wigs purchased mantles to wear when they visit us , as they have told me "When in Rome" .