character

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Are people born with a set of characteristic or does their environment shape them?

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I think it truly depends on the characteristic. Some things are hereditary and some things are definitely environmental.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I think the people you look up to & who raise you ie. parents, guardians, etc. have a lot to do with the development of your characteristics.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I watched a show about brain function yesterday, that confirmed that there is both nurture and nature involved in the outcome of our lives. One of the scientists discovered that he has the same brain scan as many serial killers, but he was raised by good, supportive parents, where as in most cases of serial killers there is a history abuse.

H

Hank

I watched a show about brain function yesterday, that confirmed that there is both nurture and nature involved in the outcome of our lives. One of the scientists discovered that he has the same brain scan as many serial killers, but he was raided by good, supportive parents, where as in most cases of serial killers there is a history abuse.
I can't believe that he was raided by his good supportive parents and still turned out alright.
Throws the whole nurture thing on its head!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Speaking of character, I got a fortune cookie with a saying that read: "Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny." That saying tends to lean towards the thought that character is something that is developed, and not something that you are born with.

H

Hank

Speaking of character, I got a fortune cookie with a saying that read: "Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny." That saying tends to lean towards the thought that character is something that is developed, and not something that you are born with.
We have a saying in Ireland like that too!

"He who lets fortune cookies control his destiny,
usually ends up in China!"

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We have a saying in Ireland like that too!

"He who lets fortune cookies control his destiny,
usually ends up in China!"
My family has two fortune cookie traditions... the first, a pretty common one, is appending "in bed" to the fortune as it is read aloud. The second one is reserved for people we have dined with in a Chinese restaurant for the first time. You wait until everyone else has read their fortune, open your cookie, look confused and say, "Mine says, 'Help! I'm trapped in a cookie factory!'"

H

Hank

My family has two fortune cookie traditions... the first, a pretty common one, is appending "in bed" to the fortune as it is read aloud. The second one is reserved for people we have dined with in a Chinese restaurant for the first time. You wait until everyone else has read their fortune, open your cookie, look confused and say, "Mine says, 'Help! I'm trapped in a cookie factory!'"
Don't get the "in bed" part?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Fourtune cookies are an American thing. However, there is this;

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
~The Upanishads

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
What does that German thing mean "Wie sind...........
"Who are these Devil Dogs ?"

A devil dog is a member of the United States Marine Corps. It originates from a statement attributed to the German High Command, in remarking on the determinedness of the Marines, to the effect of "Wer sind diese Teufelshunde ?", which means "Who are these Devil Dogs?"

A term given to Marines by the Germans in WWI at the Battle of Beleau Wood in France. During the battle, the Marines charged into the German trenches through mustard gas (which made their eyes red), and faught with such ferocity that the dying Germans called them devil dogs. The term is still used today between Marines as a motivational nickname.