Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Then there's the removal of all "wheat" products down to the finest speck from the house every year. Ponder that one for a bit. It's sound health care but you must understand the basis.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
I have heard before (and in my quick Google search I couldn't find any reputable source to back me up) that a newborn's Vitamin K levels peak around the end of the first week. If that is true, then that would make sense why circumcision was traditionally preformed 8 days after birth. The abundant Vitamin K would help with blood clotting. But, I am not sure that the info is accurate.
Not true, unfortunately. Administration of vitamin K via an IM injection has been standard practice since 1961, specifically to prevent K-deficiency bleeding. Stance of the American Academy of Pediatrics

As another reason for the supplementation, breast milk is a poor source of K. In a 1991 study, none of the 23 breast-fed infants were even close to the requirement for vitamin K, with a mean plasma concentration of 25ng where the recommended level is 50ng. More from the AAP

If that's the reason for circumcising at 8 days, I don't know why- that would be a low spot for K.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Not true, unfortunately. Administration of vitamin K via an IM injection has been standard practice since 1961, specifically to prevent K-deficiency bleeding. Stance of the American Academy of Pediatrics

As another reason for the supplementation, breast milk is a poor source of K. In a 1991 study, none of the 23 breast-fed infants were even close to the requirement for vitamin K, with a mean plasma concentration of 25ng where the recommended level is 50ng. More from the AAP

If that's the reason for circumcising at 8 days, I don't know why- that would be a low spot for K.
:eek:

(Great stuff - keep it comin'!)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]
"Overkill" is when legislation trumps parental authority. Parent's should have the right to choose.
...and what if the parents strongly believe that they will have a virtuous and pure daughter and not a slut if they perform "female circumcision," as in some cultures?

S&F

Bob Franks

[snip]These rules kept the Jews alive and healthy in times when porous wooden bowls were the norm for dinnerware and mixing the bacteria from meat and dairy could be fatal. [snip]
Can you give an example?
I don't recall hearing anything to support this in microbiology class.

S&F

G

Gary

...and what if the parents strongly believe that they will have a virtuous and pure daughter and not a slut if they perform "female circumcision," as in some cultures?

S&F
Then that's their choice! I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it. Who are we to legislate the morality of another culture?

Bob Franks

Then there's the removal of all "wheat" products down to the finest speck from the house every year. Ponder that one for a bit. It's sound health care but you must understand the basis.
Huh?
Having taught (Army) Foodservice Sanitation, I thought I had a grasp of the basics.

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Can you give an example?
I don't recall hearing anything to support this in microbiology class.

S&F
You know, the only reference I have is working with an Observant Jew who told me that and having heard it from another Observant Jew years ago (my ex-girlfriend's father). I'll have to ask. The little research I just did on the web shows me that I probably owe this community an apology for passing on something as true that I didn't confirm.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Huh?
Having taught (Army) Foodservice Sanitation, I thought I had a grasp of the basics.

S&F
Thanks for the "Q" Brother Bob.

There are "wheat" molds (as in 'grains') that cause hallucinations*, among other maladies. Clearing a "house" of all ground grains annually reduced the opportunity for "old" products containing spores from contaminating the new wheat-product stocks. :D

In our modern world, there is not much cause for concern. In the time of no AC and other modern conveniences, eating bad food was the cause of many problems. It is one of the main reasons prayers were said before meals. Not just to give thanks but to pray that what was going to be taken in would not kill anyone. :eek:

F&S,

Bro. Coach N

* think "Salam, Massachusetts" ;)

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

There are "wheat" molds (as in 'grains') that cause hallucinations*, among other maladies. Clearing a "house" of all ground grains annually reduced the opportunity for "old" products containing spores from contaminating the new wheat-product stocks. :D

In our modern world, there is not much cause for concern. In the time of no AC and other modern conveniences, eating bad food was the cause of many problems. It is one of the main reasons prayers were said before meals. Not just to give thanks but to pray that what was going to be taken in would not kill anyone. :eek:

F&S,

Bro. Coach N

Abigail, have some rye toast, I just made it. Crappy weather we are having, say aren't you a WITCH?

Bob Franks

F&S,

Bro. Coach N

OK, that makes sense...aflatoxin, LSD,...

S&F

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Then that's their choice! I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it. Who are we to legislate the morality of another culture?
Unfortunately, this is where things start to get very sticky, very quickly. Moral relativism can be a dangerous thing, because then nearly anything can be considered acceptable.

For example. In some parts of Africa, the rape of a virgin is considered to be an effective treatment for HIV infection. In order to ensure that the victim is truly virgin, this often includes children. At what point does there have to be an absolute drawn in the sand, where despite local belief and custom, something must be condemned as wrong?

G

Gary

Unfortunately, this is where things start to get very sticky, very quickly. Moral relativism can be a dangerous thing, because then nearly anything can be considered acceptable.

For example. In some parts of Africa, the rape of a virgin is considered to be an effective treatment for HIV infection. In order to ensure that the victim is truly virgin, this often includes children. At what point does there have to be an absolute drawn in the sand, where despite local belief and custom, something must be condemned as wrong?
The line gets drawn in the sand when women don't have an equal say in these sorts of things. Male domination isn't the answer. Equal choice, equal solution.

I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but in my mind, there is no room for exploitation of children. Common sense isn't so common I guess.

Touchy subject, I guess there is no right answer. Again, great discussion. Please continue the debate. It's the only way we evaluate our thoughts and form informed opinions.

DavisB

I think I have to agree. I always feel torn in a situation like that one. Because, personally, I have very strong feelings on the matter but I have a difficult time coming up with a logical argument to place my own morals onto someone else. I don't mind explaining to someone why I think a certain practice is wrong in an effort to convince them of the same, but I don't feel comfortable with using legislation to make them act the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.