Clothes Dryer Problem

Rick

Our clothes dryer has been making screeching noises for some time. I have a feeling a bearing or maybe both of them are going out. The back of the dryer in a spot in the left upper part of the back gets really, really hot-burn you hot. Are they that complicated to replace or should I get a repairman in? I've taken it apart and used lock graphite to try to lubricate the bearing but it doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

Brenda_Lee

I am not handy and my husband much less. I would try to get a repairman because if it is "burn hot" it could burn something. My dryer is giving problems too. I haven't fixed it because during the summer I wanted to save money and it gave me the incentive to dry my clothes outside.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
As an engineer on towboats I was in charge of everything mechanical , electrical , welding and plumbing on the boat and washers and driers were on that list . I have changed out the bearings of the drier on the boat with little problem , but to be honest I would not do it at home . A pro would back their work , with little chance of making a mistake . If is not the bearings (but the sound of it , it is) and it is something else they could find it more easily without fear of fire if you made a mistake . The boat was made of steel with a sprinkler/chemical system , my home is made of wood with nothing but fire extinguishers .

Just my $.02 .

Rick

Thanks Ashlar and Brenda. We just gave up and replaced the whole set. I'm going to sell the washer locally and give someone the dryer if they want it to fix. My wife wanted a new set anyway and we got one. Actually, I really like the new set. They are big enough to hold King size bed linens plus a comforter. When they come out of the washer they are almost dry because of the increased RPM of the washer spin cycle. Cool!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
There you go , the easiest fix of them all . Sometimes repair costs on an item are so that it is just as cheap to buy a new .

Eoin

Things are made to cost more to repair now than they used to. It's a shame really. We have become a toss and get new society. Although I can see you wern't in that situation Rick. But I'm talking things like MP3 players, DVD players, TVs, and a lot of other electronics. I wish we could get things fixed like we used to.