Collections

Leslie

I haven't worked in my collections in a few years, but I have a good start on stamps and coins. I am hoping one of my kids shows genuine interest so I can hand them over. I don't really have time for it any more, but they are so interesting that I don't want to get rid of them.

What collections do you have?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I have a few old coins. My parents used to put silver dollars under the pillow as the tooth fairy. We then turned them back to our parents until the time we moved out.

I have baseball cards from when I was younger.

I have a small collection of swords and similar weapons.

Really nothing of high value though.

Starlight

I have been known to collect a little bit of everything under the sun. My favorite collection back in the day was a key chain one. There are so many and clever ones. I had to stop because it was getting out of hand.

sukie

I collected stamps when I was a child and my husband used to collect salt and pepper sets. The last thing I collected was paper weights but I always find that I run out of room to put them!

Jacobson

My wife and I started to collect antiques to sell at auction when we were younger but found that what we liked and considered worth a lot of money didn't turn out to be so when we tried to sell them later! We lost money on most of the stuff!

Leslie

Sukie, I know what you mean. There is so little space now a day in our houses that we need to be careful about collecting things. It seems that we can turn into hoarders very easily. I have been cleaning up lots of clutter, and the collections have come under scrutiny. I am getting rid of a lot of the small collections and leave only the coins and the stamps. My mugs collection is going bye bye by the end of 2010. :(

Zack

Pocket knives.
Fishing lures/equipment.
Indian artifacts.

If a grandkid or other young family member shows an interest I give some to them. If really interested, I make provisions in my will.

I have a few Indian artifacts that are museum quality and am unsure exactly what to do with them.

I collect fire helmets.....besides the one I use on the job, I have seven more in my collection......sounds like a small collection but remember, a fire helmet cost $200 and up per helmet

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I collect Coins, currency, 2 cylinder John Deere tractors (both real & miniatures), I used to collect post cards when I was 10 or so, I have several post cards (no high priced ones though) from the late 1890's that are written in Dutch. I do have a couple that have Masonic themes (Morgan Affair and one with a photo of a Masonic hall in Idaho)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Collecting things

Back when I was in the 'Guard, I traded some stuff with some Italian soldiers during a training deployment there. One of the things I got was an Italian army pocket knife. It struck my fancy and I started trying to collect pocket knives from other countries' militaries, but never was able to. Every time I contacted a foreign military, they acted as if I wanted some sort of weapon, when I was looking for what the common soldier would use to open tins (this was back in the C-rats days), cut string, and tighten screws. Never heard of a dealer having such for sale either, so I eventually tired of the effort.

S&F

DavisB

I have about 8000 baseball cards. Most of them were given to me by my grandmother, but I did get some of them on my own. I have about 50 of my favorite player, Chipper Jones.
I also collect unique chess sets from around the world. So far I have:
Israel
Egypt
Nicaragua (the pieces are the Aztecs vs. the Conquistadors :D)
Mexico
and Haiti.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have about 8000 baseball cards. Most of them were given to me by my grandmother, but I did get some of them on my own. I have about 50 of my favorite player, Chipper Jones.
I also collect unique chess sets from around the world. So far I have:
Israel
Egypt
Nicaragua (the pieces are the Aztecs vs. the Conquistadors :D)
Mexico
and Haiti.
I used to have a huge Baseball Card collection dating from the 1950's to the early 1980's . We were on vacation and someone broke into the house and my cards were stolen . Luckily the were insured so I got a large sum of money .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I used to have a huge Baseball Card collection dating from the 1950's to the early 1980's . We were on vacation and someone broke into the house and my cards were stolen . Luckily the were insured so I got a large sum of money .
Probably not what they were actually worth though.
I'm surprised the insurance company even paid you for them, but..........you probably had a list of the all the cards.

DavisB

Yes that is very lucky. I guess the insurance was a good investment then.

Brochop

Skateboards.

I've been a skateboarder since 1974 and still have almost every board I ever owned. The few I don't have were put on Ebay and sold at a great profit.

I still skate although at 50 .. I don't get as gnarly as I did when I was a kid.

This is just a few of the 40 or so boards I have in my collection.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Probably not what they were actually worth though.
I'm surprised the insurance company even paid you for them, but..........you probably had a list of the all the cards.

Oh no , not what they were worth . But to a teenager it was a lot of money . They were listed and priced. Mother's idea to insure them .