Cooking

RoughAshlar

I do all the cooking right now, it comes with getting off of work a couple hours before the wife. I like to experiment in the kitchen though, so there is nothing Im really "known" for. Although I do make a mean venison stew if I say so myself!

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
I love to cook...I do most of the cooking.. learned it all from my dad. Crockpot, my favorite tool! Slow cooking is the key!

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
Love to grill as well. I am out on my deck in the dead of winter cooking salmon, steaks and ribs...my neighbors think I am nuts!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I love the crock pot. Trying to find a good chili recipe right now. Want to make some this weekend.

I also am learning some good BBQing. Love the slow cooking and fire smell. I spent time this summer with a relative who had a good smoker, so I did a lot of that. Just don't have the room at my house for firewood, smoker and fire pit, but did buy an electronic water smoker. Its not the same, but its something to learn on.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I love grilling . I grill salmon and mahi mahi mostly .

Jason , do you make conch fritters or even like them ? I really miss them from the days of spending my summers in Fla. and would give my right arm for some .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I love grilling . I grill salmon and mahi mahi mostly .

Jason , do you make conch fritters or even like them ? I really miss them from the days of spending my summers in Fla. and would give my right arm for some .
I haven't tried fish yet. I'm a bit nervous. I still don't have a real grill either yet. I would love to smoke a nice salmon though. One of my favorite fish.

I don't know how to make conch fritters, but boy are they good. I'm near the Tarpon Sponge Docks and it is heavily Greek influenced there. The Gyro's there are amazing. However, at the end is a good place for fresh fish. That is one thing I will truly miss if I ever move. I love seafood.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I normally do the cooking for supper and breakfast on the weekends. I'm in the same boat as rough ashlar. I get off work 2 hours before my wife, so I normally have supper ready when she gets home. I play around in the kitchen also, and one of her favorites that I make is homemade shrimp alfredo over spaghetti. The kids really seem to like it too.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Dutch Oven

I saw a sale flyer a couple of years ago for one of those traveling cheap tool outfits that sets up for a week in small towns. They had a Dutch Oven for $15.99.
In Boy Scouts, I was Troop 119's Dutch Oven king. Set up Chicken and Rice, or Beef Stew, then while that was cooking, put together a Peach Cobbler. As soon as the main course was done, scrape it out onto a serving plate, and while someone else took it to the eating tent, quickly wipe out the pot, and throw in the batter and the peaches, and put it back on the coals. about the time we'd finished the meal, Peach Cobbler!

Even at the Lodge Outlet,over on I-95, a Lodge 9-10" Dutch Oven is about $70.00. I looked at the one for sale at the tent sale and the lid was rimmed and flat enough to hold coals, and it fit pretty good on the bottom. No legs, but I can hold it off the coals with three bricks. A couple of Eagle Scout Lodge Brothers shared a Black Forest Cherry Cobbler with me that is too rich for even ME to have a whole serving!
I'll share the recipe, if you ask.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
German Baked Pancakes

Yum! My Sunday morning staple.
Cast iron frying pan in the oven. :)

3 eggs
3/4c flour
3/4 C milk
T vanilla
dash of salt
T butter

preheat oven to 450F, put skillet in to warm up
mix everything but the butter until smooth (I like to get it slightly fluffy),
melt butter in skillet, coat skillet with butter, pour in batter,
15min @ 450F, then 10m more at 350F

Serves 2, great with a fresh fruit compote

Try substituting irish creme for milk :)

ckeroflite

Bro. Junior Warden
So who here is the cook in their family? Anything you are "known" for?
Well Brother Jason, just recently I have been elevated to Master Chef in my home. Being a Jersey man living in Nebraska, I will have to go on record and say that I cook a mean steak. I’m talking fry, grilled, or baked….

Well Brother Jason, just recently I have been elevated to Master Chef in my home. Being a Jersey man living in Nebraska, I will have to go on record and say that I cook a mean steak. I’m talking fry, grilled, or baked….
Baked Steak?????Hmmn, I might need some convincing.......

pnr

I'm definitely the cook in my house. In fact, last weekend I started to transfer my recipes to a blog format. I'm very reliant on my computer and do everything possible on the computer as opposed to paper and pencil. If you want to check out the blog, feel free to visit it here: Cook with Jazz I tried to combine my 2 passions: music and food.

My wife is the baker. I couldn't bake anything to save my soul.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I'm definitely the cook in my house. In fact, last weekend I started to transfer my recipes to a blog format. I'm very reliant on my computer and do everything possible on the computer as opposed to paper and pencil. If you want to check out the blog, feel free to visit it here: Cook with Jazz I tried to combine my 2 passions: music and food.

My wife is the baker. I couldn't bake anything to save my soul.
My wife & I both cook, I do most of the breakfasts, she the dinners.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I love the crock pot. Trying to find a good chili recipe right now. Want to make some this weekend. [snip]
Did you ever find the crock pot chili recipe?
I have been thinking about crock pot chili since Wednesday, but I need one I can cut down to a 'crockette,' a 1.5 quart crock pot.
I've also been trying to find one to try the nopalitos I've got. There were a couple in the freeby "Famous Chili Recipes from Marlboro Country," from the 70s, but I can't find my copy. :(

S&F

FF Sparky

My wife bought me a 1.5 quart crockpot, I had to go out and buy the biggest one Walmart had 5 quarts, was only 20 bucks, well worth it. I have chili and stew for a couple days