Crossroads in Masonry

Lionheart

Brothers,
I have been an Entered Apprentice since August. I have been attending fellowship at the Lodge with my Brethren since March. We are involved in a peculiar situation. We are moving in Dec. or Jan.

I have been active in Lodge, participated in all function's in and out of Lodge. My Great, Great, Great Grandfather down through my Grandfather and Uncle's were or are Mason's they all went down the traditional path and raised a mason through Ritual at Lodge.

Because of recent events and the influx of new members, it seem's that the Lodge has not been able to advance myself through the degree's and some other candidate's as well. As I said I have been at lodge every time the door has opened as I really enjoy masonry and all its traditions. I study and read about masonry seeking light and wisdom.

I want to be a voice in and out of Lodge to do more within the community and to help other's in need of help in these troubled times. It seems that now since we have so many brethren becoming member's of the Lodge that the member's of the Lodge have decided that it may be neccasary to do a " Blue Lightning" in which we would all be raised to Master Mason.

I have to admit that to become a Master Mason in one sitting is very tempting but, on the other hand I would miss out on what so many other brethren have experienced before me. The other thing that concerns me is that some of the gentlemen that have become EA's have only been to Lodge a handful of times. If I refuse to be raised to Master Mason at the " Blue Lightning " event then it may be some time before I am raised due to circumstances beyond the Lodge's control. Not to mention when will they even have time to practice for the ritual.

I have spoke to officer's within the Lodge but I feel like they are preoccupied with other buisness as they are not even sure whether they want to do it ( Blue Lightning) or not. It is very aggravating. I also don't want to be a bother to my brethren either. If it was up to me I would say learn the ritual's or refresh yourselves and get down to buisness. But, as an EA I don't feel as if this is proper ettiquette.

I feel as if I am at a crossroads on a subject that is a very controversial(?) issue. I am really torn here as I am sure you can tell. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long thread.:confused:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
First off . I happy to hear there are so many coming into Freemasonry . Our fraternity seems to be growing quite a bit in last few years and our numbers continue to climb .

I am also delighted to hear that you want to become a Master Mason in the traditional way ,ergo one degree at a time and take the time to learn the lectures . I would say , if it were me , was to stand firm on your conviction to be Passed and Raised traditionally , but I would add be tactful and do not step on any toes. If they do not have the time to put the degrees on, I suggest asking them if there is a lodge in your area that could do courtesy work for them . That is , if another lodge has a Fellowcraft degree , that they let you join in and when the time comes if and when they are putting on a Master Mason degree , again they put the work on for you and let them Raise you . I would not bregrudge any young EA who does not want to take the one day classes , but applaud them for wanting to take the time and do it right .

Lodges in my jurisdiction sometimes will do courtesy work and Raise candidates from two or three different lodges at the same time . This way there will be enough brothers there to put the degree on correctly . Just a couple of months ago we took two of our FC's to another lodge to be Raised with their candidates . It was a great time , the more the merrier ! I know some lodges will jump at the chance to let another lodge do courtesy work for them .

If it comes down to it though , if you have to take the one day classes and there is no way to get around it ,no one will look down there noses at you . Just take the time to learn the lectures for each degree and study , study , study .

I wish you the best of luck in your travels toward more light and keep us updated on your progress .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Just to add , like I stated above be tactful when coming to your lodge brother's with this . Even though you are an EA you are still a Brother in that lodge and should have a say in how you go through the degrees , I know I did , but my lodge brothers actually asked me for my input on the subject as to when , where and how I wanted them. I would not tell them though to learn the ritual or refresh themselves with it , some MM's may think you are over stepping your boundaries . After you become a Master Mason(either traditional or one day) , take the time to learn as much of the ritual as you can and aid your lodge in putting on the degrees properly .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
There has been and influx of members at my Lodge. However, the Lodge is strongly against the one day Master Mason type programs, and the members are willing to work with the new members on learning the degrees. Often times we have to do two degrees a month.

I would try talking to your Lodge members as it has been suggested. See if there is a degree team in your state and see if they would be willing to come to your Lodge.

Lionheart

Crossroads Update!

Well I thought you would be interested in the developments from my last post.

We were to initiate a new brother into our fraternity. We had multiple visitor's from other lodge's. We had two G.L.'s one of wich was on a degree team. It was a full house.

Turns out that the candidate was not able to attend his initiation due to responsibilities out of his control. One of the senior member's of our Lodge thought that it would be a great oppurtunity to do my 2nd degree. which by the way I was exstremely excited about.

Unfortunately, the worshipful master declined to make use of the event as he respectfully declined to do the 2nd degree. I have to admit I was quite befuddld as to why you wouldn't seize the moment to make use of the resources at hand.

It was a great evening as I was able to talk with the G.L.'s about what masonry meant to me and my desire to help other's and my fellow brethren. Also some great stories of all the magnificent Lodges they had visited. They also said that even if " Blue Lightning" was an option to take advantage of it and then go back and do the degree's in Ldge and recieve a profenciency card.

Although now it looks to be a mystery as to what the plan's are to get the degree's done. We have around 11 candidates ready for degree work. And, it looks as if the use of a degree team is off the table. Any light on this is very welcome and much appreciated.

I firmly believe we have a great lodge and hope that these issue's can be resolved as I am not sure what to do at this point.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Going ahead and going through the one day class and going back and give your lectures back to gain your profiency would be just fine . ODC's are no less Masons than any other Mason . Freemasonry is a lifelong journey and just receiving the degrees ,no matter which direction you choose to go , is not the end of it . If "Blue Lightening" is what they want to do , then just jump at the chance and do it .

Maybe the Master did not think he and the lodge were properly prepared to put on the Fellowcraft degree , more so since Grand Lodge officers being present . There is a rather long lecture in that degree and not all lodges have a Brother who can deliver it . In my area , there are only three of us who can put it on ,which includes myself and I go and put it on for other lodges so they have to make sure they set the date for the work for a day that I am free .

All good things will come in due time .

Lionheart

Thanks Brother. I am sure that is the reason. Thanks for your input. I agree all good things happen in good time.

It will not hinder my devotion to the Lodge or the community. Even though I am only an EA I have a burning desire to help others and contribute as much as possible.

By the way the site here is great! I always reccomend it to our brothers that are interested in learning more about masonry. Especially any new candidate's that have question's about masonry.

I am also very happy to be a part of this community