Custom Rain Barrels

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Ok, so we are under strict watering conditions here in Florida. So I was thinking a rain barrel may be a good idea. However, I don't care for the big old barrel sitting on the side of the house. What I am thinking of is making a custom water barrel as I cannot find anything I like.

I first though of a water storage unit, but most seem to be big and wide. I'm looking for something about 2-3 feet high, and the length of the flower bed and maybe a 1-2 feet wide. I would then run a drip hose the length of the garden along the side of the rain barrel, with a faucet at each end of the rain barrel.

I was thinking of going to a welder and having him custom make a box. However, this seems like it would be very expensive, and heavy, not to mention a pita to put in place.

Then I thought about building a frame out of 2x4's and putting something such as a pool liner inside to hold the water. This seems plausible, but again could get costly, and how to keep it from evaporating before I could use it.

So then I thought about maybe finding a way to get a fiberglass kit. However, I'm not sure if the resin will stick to the wood frame I would build. I think it could be the cheapest out of all options, but I would have to deal with the evaporation issue.

I'm looking for some other ideas that could work. Maybe there is something I'm not thinking of. Either a different material, or potential problems with any of the above ideas.

Whats your thoughts?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Update: Target had 45 gallon storage totes on sale for $12. So I picked up two of them. I cut my downspout and put in a plastic bendable downspout into a hole I cut into one of the totes. I cut a hole (although too high, but I will make them lower and leave the ones on top for over flow and so it does not backup the downspout) and connected the two via a pipe. I then install a small ball valve at the bottom corner of each of the totes. I then attached a drip line hose to it.

So far it is working pretty good. It was done kind of hasty. I want to re-set it in the flower bed a little better. Moving the lava rocks isn't going so well. My next goal is to try and paint it to try and match the house.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Jason,
It sounds like you found a way to make it work. Glad to read that you found a way to capture the water in a time when you have strict regulations.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
My wife and I have kicked the idea around some. How about pictures?
I had taken pictures of me building it. I just need to find them. I'm thinking the next day or two I will be fixing the pipe and trying to put it in the garden better.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Just an update. The tubs fell apart. We had some heavy rain the past few days and they cracked. So I guess it is time to try something new again.