Digital Overload: Your Brain On Gadgets

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The average person today consumes almost three times as much information as what the typical person consumed in 1960, according to research at the University of California, San Diego.

And The New York Times reports that the average computer user checks 40 websites a day and can switch programs 36 times an hour.

"It's an onslaught of information coming in today," says Times technology journalist Matt Richtel. "At one time a screen meant maybe something in your living room. But now it's something in your pocket so it goes everywhere — it can be behind the wheel, it can be at the dinner table, it can be in the bathroom. We see it everywhere today."

Richtel has spent the past several months researching the toll technology and "information juggling" are taking on our lives — and our brains. His series "Your Brain On Computers" describes how multitasking on computers and digital gadgets affects the way people process information — and how quickly they can then become distracted.

more Digital Overload: Your Brain On Gadgets : NPR

Georgetown

I think it's a good thing to look into. But I look at this the way I look at everything else, if you keep everything in moderation, there isn't much that can hurt you.

Necktie

My brain hurts

I know when I was back in College I used to feel like I pulled my brain. I say pulled my brain because it was sort of similar to pulling a muscle. Absorbing all of the information would actually exhaust me.