Dogs & Digging

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Anyone know who to get dogs to stop digging holes in the yard? I've been putting her "pies" she leaves in the yard into the hole and then covering with some dirt. It stops her from digging in that spot, but she just finds a new spot.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That's a tough habit to break . Digging comes naturally to dogs . Your best bet is to give them something else to occupy their time while in the yard . Toys of some sort such as a "Kong" with a treat in them so he will have to work to get it out . You just have to redirect their attention onto something else . I put all natural peanut butter in my dog's kongs , freeze them and let them play with those . They will work for a long time to get at the peanut butter .

My dogs dig a lot . I have curbed it somewhat by watching them through the window and when I catch them digging I will step outside and shake an empty pop can with pennies in it and tell them NO . The sudden noise draws their attention away from the digging and the NO let's them know that digging is not allowed . But it is hard to completely stop .