Dust Problem

Disciple

How do you deal with the dust in your home? I have clean the whole house once every month because of the dust. Is there a way where we can minimize the accumulation of dust in our homes?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Air purifiers , and not the cheap ones . I have two in my home , I paid close to $300 a piece , it has cut my dusting down quit a bit . My wife has asthma and dust kills her and they have helped her by ten fold . The house even smells better , it has that clean smell you find in a well maintained pool .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I may have to try that. Dust down here is crazy. I hate it, and the wife hates dusting.

alice30

My little trick

I have a little trick that I use. I have asthmatics in the house as well. We use purifies and a special filter in the heating unit. But I also go to the fabric shop can get yards and yards of this very fine cloth, it traps dust. I cut it in to squares and I put them in to the output vents in the house. This way I have yet another way to trap the dust instead of having it circulated through the house. Works wonders.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You can use cheese cloth as well on your vents/returns . I buy cheese cloth to wash our vehicles and use some of it on my furnace returns . If you keep the dust from getting to your furnace filter , your filters last much longer and the dust will not come back through in the supply vents .

Disciple

I'm glad to have read these suggestions. I will buy the air purifiers next month because I need save money for it. Is there a brand that you can recommend?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The brand I have can not found in stores , you have to find a dealer . But I have heard good things from Oreck , but there are many brands to choose from . Here a link to Oreck Air Care products from Oreck: Air Purifiers and Heaters | Air purifiers, Oreck's air cleaners filter allergies, mold and dust from your home at Oreck.com - Oreck

And here's a site that you do some comparison shopping , Air Purifiers - Choices of air purifiers with ratings and reviews. Free fast shipping!

Hope they help you out .

Loyalntrue

I live in a very old home and I have this same problem. I will try the cheesecloth trick and will have to save up for the air purifiers, though. I got rid of the wall to wall carpeting as it's easier for me to keep the wood floors clean as opposed to the carpets.

Mortarfan

I bought one from Island Clean Air, the smallest one they sold (they sell them for businesses too). It works awesome. I also make sure I vacuum or sweep the floors every other day. It's a pain but we have 2 indoor cats.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I live in a very old home and I have this same problem. I will try the cheesecloth trick and will have to save up for the air purifiers, though. I got rid of the wall to wall carpeting as it's easier for me to keep the wood floors clean as opposed to the carpets.
The wife and I pulled up our carpeting also . Our floors are rough pine and she wanted to paint them ( got the idea from Better Homes and Gardens) and they turned out great . Cleanup is easy , and I do not have worry about spilling water when I change my aquariums water . The only problem with that is when my dogs come running through the house , they try to stop and slide into the walls . Well , actually , that is pretty funny .