east west question

Edward

Hello,

I have had a keen interest in Freemasonry for some time but haven't knocked at the door yet.

I am wondering why the positioning inside the lodge is the reverse of Solomon's temple if it's intended to represent it?
In solomon's temple the Holy of holies is in the west & in the lodge the worshipful master sits in the east. It appears to be the reverse.

I mean no disrespect & am not out to stir trouble but I can't seem find an answer from any masons just anti-mason sites.

If anyone knows, than for your time.

Ed

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Everything in our lodge rooms is symbolic but not necessarily historically accurate. Recent discoveries in archaeology have not been incorporated in our buildings or rituals. It certainly doesn't take anything away from the experience of the degrees.

Edward

Thank you Sir for your time & elucidation.
I'm posting a link to Pietre Stones Freemasonry site I stumbled across that has some more details regarding this distinction.
Specifically the last section "Orientation" in case it's of interest.

Thanx.

Hi Edward,

The Lodge room is not intended to mirror King Solom's Temple but rather borrows themes and ideas from the Biblical accounts of it and the Master's place is definitely not synonomous with the Holy of Holies.

The Master of a Lodge represents King Solomon who, in Masonic lore, is given the distinction of being one of the first Grand Masters of Freemasonry (he wasn't really it's all allegorical) and his place in the East is simply explained as

"As the sun rises in the East to open and enliven the day, so the Worshipful Master is placed in the East to open the Lodge, and employ and instruct the Brethren in Freemasonry. "

The reason that the East is important symbolically is also explained in our Masonic Lectures:

Q - How are our Lodges situated?
A - Due East and West
Q - Why?
A - Because all places of Divine worship as well as Masons' regular, well-formed, constituted Lodges, are or ought to be so situated
Q - For which we assign three Masonic reasons; I will thank you for the first.
A - The Sun, the Glory of the Lord, rises, in the East and sets in the West.
Q - The second?
A - Learning originated in the East, an thence spread its benign influence to the West
Q - The third, last, and grand reason?
A - Whenever we contemplate on the works of the creation, how ready and cheerful ought we to be to adore the Almighty Creator, who has never left Himself without a living witness among men. From the earliest period of time, we have been taught to believe in the existence of a Deity. We read of Abel bringing a more acceptable offering to the Lord than his brother Cain; of Enoch walking with God; of Noah. being a just and upright man in his day and generation , and a teacher of righteousness; of Jacob wrestling with an angel, prevailing, and thereby obtaining a blessing for himself and posterity. But we never hear or read of any place being set apart for the public solemnisation of Divine worship, until after the happy deliverance of the children of Israel from their Egyptian bondage, which it pleased the Almighty to effect with a high hand and an outstretched arm, under the conduct of His faithful servant Moses, according to a promise made their forefather, Abraham, that He would make of his seed a great and mighty people, even as the stars in Heaven for number, and the sand of the sea for multitude. And as they were about to possess the gate of their enemies, and inherit the promised land, the Almighty thought proper to reveal to them those three most excellent institutions-viz., the Moral, Ceremonial, and judicial Laws. And for the better solemnisation of Divine worship, as well as a receptacle for the Books and Tables of the Law, Moses caused a Tent or Tabernacle to be erected in the wilderness, which by God's especial command was situated due East and West, for Moses did everything according to a pattern shown him by the Lord on Mount Sinai. This Tent or Tabernacle proved afterwards to be the ground-plan, in respect to situation, of that most magnificent Temple built at Jerusalem by that wise and mighty Prince, King Solomon, whose regal splendour and unparalleled lustre far transcend our ideas. This is the third, last, and grand reason. I as a Freemason give, why all. places of Divine worship, as well as Masons' regular, well-formed, constituted Lodges are or ought to be so situated.

Edward

Thank you Mr. Martin for sharing this explanation that I might ponder & understand a little better.
All of the Masons, virtual & in person that I've talked to have been welcoming & generous of their time & insight. I think it's time to ask to be considered for membership.

Thank you for contributing to my overall great impressions so far.

Ed Leach

P.S. Here's the Temple link I forgot to add:
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/king_solomon_temple.html