Esoteric vs Literal

In our journey to improve ourselves through masonry, do we sometimes read to between the lines? How do you separate literal meaning from the esoteric?

The comment has been said in another thread that "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"........how do you know if it is what it is...or is there something behind the obvious.........

G

Gary

Let's look at the generalized definition of Freemasonry;

" A peculiar system of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols".

That tells us from the start that the lessons in Masonry have more to them than meets the eye. Some lessons are literal, but if you look at the symbolism integrated into the lesson you can see a deeper meaning. This is done by research.

Religious doctrine is the same way. Allegory is how knowledge was passed on before literacy was a common thing.

Undoubtedly, you've read the discussions on our interpretations of some of that allegory and symbolism.

Sometimes, "a cigar is just a cigar"... That is true. The way to tell the difference between what is esoteric or not is by the facts you find to justify the relevance of the symbol or allegory.

A good Masonic dictionary or encyclopedia such as Coil's or Mackey's will make this point clear. Just pick a symbol and look one up. You'll see how it "connects" with the subject you are trying to investigate.

I used them extensively in my research paper "The wages of a Master Mason".

That's my view on it. ;)

Thank you Brother....you definitely are earning your keep....

Yes I believe I have read a little of the discussions it is kinda what prompted my curiosity.....;)

G

Gary

I find it interesting that Masons will occasionally disagree on interpretations of what they research. I believe that sometimes it's a matter of a lack of facts to prove the connection, or it can even be that historically the symbols meaning has changed.

Even more confusing is that a symbol such as the cross (crucifix) in the SR degrees means something different in the particular degree that is being presented. Those meanings aren't transferrable or unilateral with the other degrees. So, in effect, you have a symbol that has multiple meanings depending on the context in which it is used.

I agree..... I think the esoteric has leeway to allow multiple meanings..... two people can be looking at the same facts and come up with different conclusions........... sort like the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"........

G

Gary

I agree..... I think the esoteric has leeway to allow multiple meanings..... two people can be looking at the same facts and come up with different conclusions........... sort like the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"........
Occasionally that is the case. Of course, there is also the instance where one person sees a connection, and another simply can't comprehend the interpretation.

An example would be when Coach brings forth a gem, and I can't grasp the allegory. I simply haven't researched the symbolism enough to make the connection. It doesn't mean he's wrong, it just means that I don't know enough about the subject to either agree or disagree with what he is telling me. Eventually, I get enough data to understand what he's sharing.

Then of course there is the situation where a connection is attempted to be made, and it just isn't there or the facts just aren't there to entirely support it. I've had that happen to me, as I'm sure everyone does at one point. If you don't try, you'll never hit pay dirt! :p

I often wonder if the good Brother Coach doesnt wonder to himself....."am I talking to a brick wall" when we talk.....

I agree if you dont go looking, you wont find it..... it will not come to ya.... and along the journey, you will venture down some dead end roads...but those roads lead eventually to what you are in search of. BUT sometimes I wonder if some try to play connect the dots with dots that are way to far apart or that dont really connect.

G

Gary

I'm sure that happens often too.

Speaking of Coach, he seems to have quite a bit of patience when it comes to trying to get his point across with Mason's like me (I'm a little thick headed sometimes...LOL).

On point with the lack of a connection, I've had Brothers give me the ol' deer in the headlights look when I miss the mark. :eek:

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I'm still working on pulling gems of knowledge and virtue from the rituals, degrees, and lectures, unwritten and written, to mold members into Masons, by persuasion and argument.
I still have a lot of difficulty seeing the symbols and meanings behind the obvious, unless someone explains them to me.

S&F

G

Gary

I'm still working on pulling gems of knowledge and virtue from the rituals, degrees, and lectures, unwritten and written, to mold members into Masons, by persuasion and argument.
I still have a lot of difficulty seeing the symbols and meanings behind the obvious, unless someone explains them to me.

S&F
I'm in the same boat. Luckily, I have Mackey's books; The Encyclopedia of Freemasonry, and Symbols of Freemasonry. They have been exceptionally helpful with grasping the basics.

I have a LOT to learn, but now that I have some resources I'm not afraid to make my own connections. I've found the obvious, has a little more to it if you look at different sources on the subject.

G

Gary

Do you think sometimes we cant see the forest for the trees?
Sometimes. It's a matter of do you want to see the forest? or are you only just willing to look at the trees?

The hardest thing for me to grasp was the concept that I had to learn how to learn! You literally have to train your brain to think differently. It's not as hard as it sounds.

I'm picking on Coach tonight, I hope he'll forgive me... :p

I used to get a little frustrated when he would tell me; " those that have done the work will see the connections". How in the heck do you see a connection when you don't know what the "work" is????

He kept repeating himself, and It eventually dawned on me that by studying the 7 L&S's, these connections I was desperately trying to comprehend would make sense. Freemasonry is a science!

Understanding comes from analysis. Sometimes it's as simple as taking a sentence out of ritual, and asking what does it mean?

Once you get a simple definition (literal interpretation), then ask what's more? or how else can it be explained? How does it apply to... etc,.

Coach's books are set up to teach you to train your brain to think a different way.

For those that don't have his books, take a look at his blog. He's got some fine examples there. He even has an article about how the brain learns, and how the 7 L&S's change the way you process information.

Anyhoo...Coach, I'm still waiting on my promotional check! :p ( I kid about that. He's actually given me a huge gift in the pages of the books.)

Besides learning how to learn....we must also teach ourselves to see..... looking between the tree trunks will let us know the forest is there too....

Another thing that I have pondered is:

Since there is differences in masonry from jurisdiction to jurisdiction....... could there possibly be a different meaning from each jurisdiction....if you omit or change something does it change what you are learning or trying to learn?

G

Gary

Besides learning how to learn....we must also teach ourselves to see..... looking between the tree trunks will let us know the forest is there too....
True, but you have to want to do that in the first place.

Since there is differences in masonry from jurisdiction to jurisdiction....... could there possibly be a different meaning from each jurisdiction....if you omit or change something does it change what you are learning or trying to learn?
I would think that there is a general understanding of symbolism. Yes, there could be differences, but I would imagine that they are minimal in most cases. Of course there is always the exception. I don't claim to know the true answer to that question. Again, I think context & syntax come in to play.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I often wonder if the good Brother Coach doesnt wonder to himself....."am I talking to a brick wall" when we talk.....
Stop your wondering. I think it often. :p
I agree if you dont go looking, you wont find it..... it will not come to ya.... and along the journey, you will venture down some dead end roads...but those roads lead eventually to what you are in search of. BUT sometimes I wonder if some try to play connect the dots with dots that are way to far apart or that dont really connect.
You would not believe how many deadends I have experienced looking for something, only to find out that that deadend led to something that I needed much later in my journey. It's ALL good. Just file the dead ends away for a later time. You will never be disappointed.
Sometimes. It's a matter of do you want to see the forest? or are you only just willing to look at the trees?
Sometimes it ain't the tress but what lives in them that is most important. In these cases, ya gotta get through the bark and into the pulp for the payoff.
The hardest thing for me to grasp was the concept that I had to learn how to learn! You literally have to train your brain to think differently. It's not as hard as it sounds.

I'm picking on Coach tonight, I hope he'll forgive me... :p
I'll let ya know if I'm feeling picked on.
I used to get a little frustrated when he would tell me; " those that have done the work will see the connections". How in the heck do you see a connection when you don't know what the "work" is????

He kept repeating himself, and It eventually dawned on me that by studying the 7 L&S's, these connections I was desperately trying to comprehend would make sense. Freemasonry is a science!

Understanding comes from analysis. Sometimes it's as simple as taking a sentence out of ritual, and asking what does it mean?

Once you get a simple definition (literal interpretation), then ask what's more? or how else can it be explained? How does it apply to... etc,.

Coach's books are set up to teach you to train your brain to think a different way.

For those that don't have his books, take a look at his blog. He's got some fine examples there. He even has an article about how the brain learns, and how the 7 L&S's change the way you process information.

Anyhoo...Coach, I'm still waiting on my promotional check! :p ( I kid about that. He's actually given me a huge gift in the pages of the books.)
(That check IS in the mail my Brother.) ;)

The basics are there all over. The examples may differ but the differences are not what's important. It's that you have prepared and trained your mind to be receptive to seeing things differently. That's what Ritual offers: A training ground. The ground is unimportant; the preparation and training is!

Winter

I've been here before
There are many wonderful hidden connections in our ritual. This is true even when the ritual has changed over time, although that can make it difficult to find them.

The test of a universal truth though is an easy one. If a 4 year old, or even a newer Brother Freemason :) lol, will be able to understand it when it is put to him. I'm not saying the more complex esoteric understandings are wrong, but even those are based on simple truths. I think we often make the matter much more complex than it needs to be.

G

Gary

I think that we should look at the simplicity of the message first, and then determine if there is cause for further investigation. Some things don't need a complex explanation to have a valuable meaning.