Excited to get initiated!

Carl White

I already petitioned, met with the interviewers, was voted in at the next stated meeting. I'm just waiting a month to start on my degree work. The lodge is booked solid for the month of may, and I have to wait til June to start. I can't wait and am excited to start with the degrees!

Carl White

Thank you! What got you interested in masonry if you don't mind my asking? I became interested after I found my uncles Scottish rite ring and found out that my grandfather was a well respected mason in the community. I just want to follow in their footsteps and make myself a better person.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
As I told a District Deputy tonight, when he asked how long I have been a Mason, 1yr and a couple of months, then why did I, as an older guy, get into Freemasonry. I told him I had tried to create this organization several times, three in fact, and that they fell apart. Then I found out that I could have joined one!

jaya

I got interested in it origionally to join the shrine. A frind of mine has a kid that has had 7 surgeries at a shriners hospital. I was looking for a way to give back. After doing a ton of research I petitioned my lodge and have yet to join the shrine. I found what I was looking for in both my BL and the SR.

Carl White

I agree the charitable causes also drew me to masonry as well. I want to be involved with the special Olympics. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the handicapped. I just recently watched "the ringer" and it peaked my interest in volunteering for the special Olympics. It's just an added bonus that masonry supports this great cause!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Greetings and salutations. Congratulations, and keep us posted on how you make out.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Welcome!
I usually say to 'Jump in and stir up some discussion..." but you already have! [Have you been reading ahead?]

When I was in grade school (back when we cyphered on pieces of tree bark with charred sticks! :D ), we got released an hour a week to troop down to the local church for bible study. The week we were told to bring a Bible from home, Mom got out Primm's (GrandMa-Ag's 2nd husband) Masonic bible and put black tape over the Emblem on the cover, explaining we didn't want to give the wrong impression, since Dad was not a Mason.
I wondered for years about the power of the design of the Square & Compasses...
Many friends and acquaintances in the Navy and in jobs often used unusual phrases, with a knowing glance to other Masons, that I heard over and over.
After joining, I found I enjoyed the ritual and repetition of opening and closing the Lodge...which lead me back to the rituals of the Lutheran Church, which I had abandoned as a teen.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
[snip]...which lead me back to the rituals of the Lutheran Church, which I had abandoned as a teen.

S&F
Interesting! Freemasonry pulled me bak towards the middle of the spiritual road, it still a very Red Road, but less near the shoulders.

Carl White

I was initiated last nite into the lodge of entered apprentice masons. It was truly a humbling experience. There were two of us to get initiated. I was the first candidate to go thru, then I got to watch the second go thru. My nerves got the better of me at times during my initiation and I tripped up on a couple of parts. I eagerly watched the second candidate go thru and understood some of what I didn't grasp when I went. The brothers were all great and greeted us as the guests of honor at the social and we both left as brothers. After the degree work we stood around and talked for a long time about the degree and what to expect in the future for us in masonry. The great thing about the whole nite was that I was able to talk to all the brethren as if we had known each other for years! I learned so much and can't wait to go back next week and watch as two more candidates get initiated into the brotherhood. I am also looking forward to meeting with my mentor to learn the ritual and progressing to a FC! "So Mote It Be."

Carl White

Thanks, brother! The funny thing is on being brought to light, that is one of the parts I messed up on in initiation. When they asked what I wanted I said "right" instead of " light". The brothers all got a kick out of that after the ceremony. The more I think about the ceremony the more I am remembering. I am picking up on some of the hidden meanings behind everything. I especially liked when my LEO told me the first 7 words I as a candidate said unaided in lodge. "It is in god I am light" or in my case "It is in god I am right" which both mean something special.