Exo-evolution: Aliens who hide, survive

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Has ET evolved to be discreet? An evolutionary tendency for inconspicuous aliens would solve a nagging paradox – and also suggest that we Earthlings should think twice before advertising our own existence.

As physicist Enrico Fermi argued in 1950, unless the evolution of life is cosmic scale, driving an evolutionary process between alien species on different planets. Advanced species, for example, might want to exploit other planets for their own purposes. If so, the universe would be a violent place, and evolutionary selection may favour the inconspicuous – those who lie low on purpose, or who simply lack the skill or ambition to venture forth or advertise their existence.
"This is an interesting idea," says alien hunter Seth Shostak
of the SETI institute in Mountain View, California. "If I let the cosmos know I exist, then I might be subject to extermination."

more Exo-evolution: Aliens who hide, survive - space - 08 April 2011 - New Scientist

Winter

I've been here before
Sounds like the plot in Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. Once you get past the Scientology crap it really is one of the better pieces of science fiction. Not the movie, though, that was garbage.