Fair shake or just for show?

WilliamM

Hi, My name is William M. I recently petitioned my local Masonic temple (Cleveland, Ohio area) and have been rejected. This not only hurts, but has me raising questions about the way it all went down. Starting from the begining I became freinds with a Mason, not knowing him to be a Mason until later. I noticed his watch and asked about it. He told me that he was a Mason and asked if I was interested in joining. Having known that my grandfather, greatgrandfather and my wifes grandfather were all Masons I said yes. I filled out the petition and submited my payment. I was told by my friend that my petition was read for the first time and that I would be recieving a phone call for my investigation. I recieved a phone call and was asked to come to the temple for my investigaton. I was voted on that night. The questions is "Did i get a fair shake or was it just a show?". They had no time to call my referances, they never met my wife, the investigation was rushed and the two other Masons didn't seem to concerned in what I had to say. Please give your two cense and any advice you might have for me. Thank You, William M.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
This certainly sounds odd, from your telling.
I am curious if this is a legitimate lodge. Can you post the name and number?
If you feel that this was done in a rushed or improper manner, look up the grand lodge which the lodge is part of, and probably under 'districts,' look for the officer called the "District Deputy Grand Master," and discuss it with him.

good luck

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I agree, it sounds like something else might be going on. Perhaps there is something you may not be telling us? For example, if you were a convicted felon, you would probably be rejected and if that was known by somebody they might have gone through the motions for some reason. Personally, I would have returned your application and told you there was no point in continuing as you would not have been qualified. Why go through all that trouble?

WilliamM

Thank you for your insight. I assure you that there is nothing in my past that would keep me from being a mason. I have never been given a ticket let alone a felony. I am married with four children. I have a full time job at a cold header shop that I have been with for eight years. I live a good life. I would not be questioning this if I knew that they had a reason to reject me. Thank you, William M.

WilliamM

I will not give the name or number of the lodge. If I did something wrong I can accept blame, but I will not put anyone in a bad light. This is a legitimate lodge as I can find it on several find a lodge sites.

Bob Franks

Hmmm, this is getting even stranger.
It's real strange to hear a story like this.
It makes it REALLY strange that you don't want us to be able even see if this is a Regular lodge.
Sure, you found it on 'Find-a-Lodge' sites.
That does NOT prove Regularity.
I think I'll sit this one out.

good luck

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
William: You can trust us to be discrete, but if you are not willing to let us help you, I'm with you Bob.

Duncan1574

Ohio Brothers, give us some insight into your GL's process for a rejection of a petition. In Wis. there are set rules about the voting.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Because we do not see the harm in telling us the lodge name and number you petitioned . Pretty much all are willing to give that info up quite readily . No lodge name/number and the radar goes off .

Cleveland is home to a well known (in on-line Masonic circles) clandestine lodge by the name Halcyon Lodge . We do not recognize them as Freemasons .

Bob Franks

There can be a number of reasons for a petitioner to be rejected. Some have nothing to do with the quality of the petitioner.
1. After I petitioned, I told a coworker who wore a Masonic tie bar. He nervously looked side to side, and told me to keep my mouth closed about petitioning until the election. "If there's one mason in that lodge who hasn't attended in 20 years who had a grudge against your grandfather, he'll show up the night your petition is voted on!"
2. I have heard of some masons who feel that a man must really want to be a mason. That he should want to be a mason so badly that he will petition again after being rejected the first time.
3. 25 or 30 years ago, my lodge had a crisis. No matter how good a candidate was, he was rejected. We had no degree work for some years. Some of the members speculated that one of the officers was afraid to do degree work. We never found out for sure.
4. We had a Master one year who had just finished his year as the head of an [unnamed] appendent body. When he had appointed officers to that other body, one of our lodge members was dismayed that he'd not been given position he'd desired, though he'd never told the brother of his desire. He complained bitterly that this mason had betrayed him. No petition with that Past Master's name on it passed the ballot box.He stopped signing petitions.
5. I have been told of lodges where a brother is mad at the elder masons who he feels are 'running' the lodge, even though not in an office, and this angry brother will decide to punish the lodge.

None of these activities would be in keeping with Masonic ideals!

Duncan1574

In Wisconsin, each Lodge has to do each of the degrees yearly to be eligible to remain a Lodge. I checked out thier Lodge website, which is three months out of date, and the last degree they did was back in 2010. Perhaps, William, you should find a Lodge that is more active?

WilliamM

I have thought of petitioning another lodge but now I have to wait a year. How do I approach another lodge to meet the men that will hopefully sign a petition for me when I can petition again? The lodge that my family has been part of was closed and merged with another.

Duncan1574

I have thought of petitioning another lodge but now I have to wait a year. How do I approach another lodge to meet the men that will hopefully sign a petition for me when I can petition again? The lodge that my family has been part of was closed and merged with another.
Masons are, generally, friendly men. Check with the secretary of the Lodge you have interest in and start showing up for their public events.

DesertRacer

sorry I'm so late at reading this one. i'm a member of an Ohio lodge and recently moved to AZ. This did sound really odd. I honestly cannot remember paying anything until after being brought in. Also, you mentioned noone met your wife or family, noone met my wife.