Favorite York Rite Degree, and why.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
I was speaking to a good friend and Brother, and somehow, the topic turned to the York Rite. I'm a proud Companion for Chapter and Council, and a Sir Knight of the Commandery, but my heart is in Chapter.

Why? I don't know for sure. Maybe part of it is the completionist aspect- Chapter, at least to me, finishes what the Blue Lodge starts. When it is asked why a man becomes a Master Mason, part is to receive Master's wages, to better care for themselves, their family, distressed Brethren and their widows and orphans. It answers the question Blue Lodge leaves unanswered- just how do I get my wage as a Master?

Another part may be the ancestral background- for centuries, Masonry consisted of the three Blue Lodge Degrees, and the Holy Royal Arch. This makes sense- adding the Chapter completes the story, as it were.

For me, though, the favorite Degree is Mark Master. It speaks to my station in life, a student plugging away in the quarry, trying to learn how to support myself. It speaks of honor and integrity, things I hold dear. I wear the Chapter pin every day on my white coat, a silent reminder of those obligations, and the one time I was presented a Mark by a Brother in need, I came across.

That's my favorite. What of you?

rld2

S.K.-J.W.
My favorite is Most Excellent Master. I was raised a Master Mason Dec.2007. As I was making my way through Chapter and Commandry, I had a cousin who has always been like my big brother coming up through lodge. When he petitioned to do Chapter and Commandry, I was given the honor to learn the work and preside in the East to do his M.E.M. obligation I guess that would be my reason.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
That's a powerful reason to like a Degree, to be sure. :) Someday, perhaps I will be so lucky to do similar, as my brother has talked for some time about wanting to petition Blue Lodge. Dad and I have already worked it out that if he chooses to join here, in our home Lodge, that I would be in the West and Dad in the East for it.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
While being a Past High Priest and very involved with the Commandery, I must say my favorite degree is the 1st section of the Royal Master degree. The way I've seen it done since I've joined always hits my heart.