Fellowcraft Catechism

Well, tonight is my Fellowcraft Catechism along with the other four FCs in my class. Then I have to wait until the 29th to be raised! We are also initiating two new brothers into the lodge tonight! Busy season here at Howard No. 101! I have also thrown my name into the hat to step into the Officer line for next year! Was also already asked to join the instruction staff/committee! Summer School here I come!

And if all goes well my journey to the East will be one year shorter as we are to be short on Stewards next year so I was tentatively asked to start at Sr. Steward. Thank god my father is a P.M. he's going to be inavluable in learning all this!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I certainly hope that you are agreeing to all of this because it's what you had planned to do. Not because the Lodge wants to push you into the line because they are "short"... Your zeal will turn to burn out in a heart beat if that is the case. Personally, I can't stand it when Lodges feed like vultures on their newly raised Master Masons. you haven't even attended your first meeting yet, and they already have you signed up for committees and even in the line. Good grief. So much for Masonry. The machine is hard at work though.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I certainly hope that you are agreeing to all of this because it's what you had planned to do. Not because the Lodge wants to push you into the line because they are "short"... Your zeal will turn to burn out in a heart beat if that is the case. Personally, I can't stand it when Lodges feed like vultures on their newly raised Master Masons. you haven't even attended your first meeting yet, and they already have you signed up for committees and even in the line. Good grief. So much for Masonry. The machine is hard at work though.
AGREED !!!!! Lodges are having trouble filling chairs and just love to push new Masons into the chair line knowing full well that a new Mason's zeal will make them not hesitate in saying NO . If this is what you want , then fine . If it is what the lodge wants and you are unsure/uncomfortable then turn them down , you have a lifetime to go through the chairs .

No, its ok guys, its what I want to do. My father like I said is a P.M. and well he's getting up in age and I want to become a P.M. with him while he's still here. I've wanted to do this for years only now have found the time to dedicate to it.

dajofa

I have to agree with Ash and Gary here!

Too many get right into the Officer line before they learn the basic tenents and virtues of our profession.

I decided a while back that I would not advance into the line or up the York or Scottish rites until I knew and understood each of the major lectures as well as the charges. (Already started the York but put it aside until I TRUELY understood the first 3 degrees) It takes allot of time. One more major lecture to go, 3rd Degree Historical. Once you really learn the lectures you really have "greater light" and it is indeed an amazing process in itself.

Too many try to get that WM or PM before their name and the fancy apron prior to understanding what the Craft is all about. It seems to me that it would be hard to be an "Instructor" when you ve only just begun your Masonic education and journey! Passing through a degree does not, in it self, give you any enlightenment!

But none the less I wish you luck and success. There is SO much to learn, do not rush it!

Warmest Regards
Dave

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
A past grand master said, "Too many men want to be PAST Grand Master!"
...implying they did not want the work involved to get there, or the hard decisions to be made while in office.

I would say that many aspire to be PAST Master!
I dragged my feet on the way, passing up a chance to skip the Junior Deacon's place, because I knew I would need the whole time to be prepared.

It seems to be a better reason to serve because of the needs of the lodge and the ability of the person, than to please your dad.
I am sorry to not be able to agree with you.

S&F

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
A past grand master said, "Too many men want to be PAST Grand Master!"
...implying they did not want the work involved to get there, or the hard decisions to be made while in office.

I would say that many aspire to be PAST Master!
I dragged my feet on the way, passing up a chance to skip the Junior Deacon's place, because I knew I would need the whole time to be prepared.

It seems to be a better reason to serve because of the needs of the lodge and the ability of the person, than to please your dad.
I am sorry to not be able to agree with you.

S&F
Agreed.

David:
What's in a title anyway? It isn't worth anything really. If you rush to get the title, you'll only be skipping the most important thing of all; development as a new Mason. If your dad isn't satisfied that you will be a Master Mason in his lifetime regardless of any other title you may receive, then I question the motives in play here.

PM Franks, Don't get me wrong, in my lodge, to be asked to join the line is a huge honor, our lodge is known throughout Maryland for the degree work performed, and I do not take this lightly. I am not aspiring to become PM to please my dad, but to share in the knowledge and fellowship with him. And as noted previously being asked to join the instruction comittee is a further testament to my ability to learn and understand the teachings as again its not just anyone they ask. In my opinion, to be in line to become WM and PM, I think a man should either be 1. a person who has served as a Master Mason in the lodge for a period of time so as to understand the craft and all of its symbolism and teachings, or 2. not be so young or naive as to think its just a bunch of memorization. Believe me, my father would not let me do this without alot of mentoring, and a thorough understanding of what it takes to be an officer and eventual WM. So am doing this with open eyes, and attentive ears.

Ashlar, in response to your comment about lodges having to fill chairs, yes our lodge is having difficulty, however, our lodge, as many others makes use of our P.M.s to fill in. Currently both the J.W. and S.W. are P.M.s, they and others have agreed to fill chairs as needed to avoid as you said preying on the zeal of a newly raised MM.

I hope I have not offended anyone with my opinions or remarks, but I wanted to set everyone at ease with my choice to start my journey so soon. And if offered to skip a chair to advance faster, I would not do so unless I felt I was 100% competant to do so. I assure you I will to the utmost of my ability, honor this great and ancient fraternity.

Regards,

Dave

One More Week! My father has been attending rehearsal the past couple thursday nights and whenever I ask him what he will be doing he just laughs and says "You'll Find out!" I found a poem written by L.L. Walker Jr from "The Texas Freemason" I have memorized and am going to recite in honor of all the P.M.s in attendance next week. I can paste it here if anyone is interested.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
One More Week! My father has been attending rehearsal the past couple thursday nights and whenever I ask him what he will be doing he just laughs and says "You'll Find out!" I found a poem written by L.L. Walker Jr from "The Texas Freemason" I have memorized and am going to recite in honor of all the P.M.s in attendance next week. I can paste it here if anyone is interested.
Please do! I'm sure everyone would love to read it!

Past Masters, and Masons enjoy!

Once in the east he sat
The Jewel about his neck
And with a hat, he covered his head
when other heads were bare.

The brethren came and went
In answer to his beck
And stood and offered up the signs
To him who wore the square

Once like the coursing sun
He rose up in the east
And all the brethren rose as one
As work began or ceased

Once he guarded treasure,
The secrets of the craft,
The Charter, Ritual, Ancient work
By which the craft increased

But when the year had closed,
Three steps he did step down,
Down to the floor to take his place
Among the brethren there

So like his brethren, he;
Yet Somehow different, too;
For he had sat up in the east
And he had worn the square

He is a man apart,
a Mason marked for time
To him who has with honor served
To him must honor be.

L. L. Walker
The Texas Mason

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Kinda wish my Dad was still around and was a Mason. (He has passed and wasn't a Brother)

My heartfelt condolences Bro. Duncan. I dont know what I'll do when my dad passes. I usually spend a whole day on the weekends with him, talk to him probably once a week and sit in lodge with him every monday night (When the lodge is open in the FC Degree) Which our lodge tries to open in th efirst to involve as many new members as possible.

Well brothers, just four more days now, tonight my father has rehearsal with the past masters for monday night, and as I stated before he wont tell me what part he will have in the degree work, I received the Lewis jewels in the mail the other day and I made a mistake on the dates! I had 2012 as my raising date! But the company said send the bar back and they will fix it. I am pondering presenting it anyway then telling my dad its in error, or just wait, get it fixed and present it another night. What do you guys think?