FH Masonic Book Club

What book to read at this time for the FH Book Club?

• The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Building Boaz by Dr. John Nagy

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Based on Brother Tom's post in the "Ideas" thread I thought I would propose that we start a Masonic book club here on FH.

We take a reasonable amount of time and decide on a Masonic book and everyone who wants to take part buys said book.

Then we set a schedule and discuss it, maybe a chapter a week or so.

One of the benefits is that whoever takes part will also build a Masonic library over time. Who can't swing one book every month or two?

Keep the books simple at first, basic Masonic books and nothing too esoteric or tin-foil-hat.

I'll throw out there for our first book, The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton.
Bro. Winter, as the creator of this thread you could add a poll with the sugestions and we could vote.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
What we could do is create a poll , start out with a few books that is EA appropriate and the winner of the Poll is the book that will be up for discussion .

And the book that places second in the poll may be the next book in line . This way if those who do not own said book and have the money to purchase said book , will have time to purchase said book well before the discussion begins on said book . Is this making any sense ?

Winter

I've been here before
I'm perusing it now, Coach. It could be, has a lot of foundational stuff. There's a link to a web copy at the begining of the thread, look at at and you tell me.

Winter

I've been here before
Poll is up. I say we only take the votes till noon tomorrow. That way most people could procure the book possibly by the weekend.

In the future, we will pick the next book well in advance of finishing the currnt one.

G

Gary

What we could do is create a poll , start out with a few books that is EA appropriate and the winner of the Poll is the book that will be up for discussion .

And the book that places second in the poll may be the next book in line . This way if those who do not own said book and have the money to purchase said book , will have time to purchase said book well before the discussion begins on said book . Is this making any sense ?
Yup. I agree. Winter can put up a poll since he started this thread. We really DO need a Tyled section for the other degrees. It's stuff like this that limits what we can discuss.

G

Gary

I think it will be close up to the end. They both sound like really good books.

Winter

I've been here before
I agree. I ordered Building Boaz after reading th reviews. I'm looking forward to getting it. I've read the Builders, so I voted for the book I hadn't read yet.

Having the Coach in here, I feel BB will be a good start for the club.....he can straighten us out if we get out of bounds and the EIEIO's wont have to bother with us....

G

Gary

Just spoke with Coach on the phone. Unrelated topic...or was it? LOL

Either book from the poll, I think it will be very fun to go through them together.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Just spoke with Coach on the phone. Unrelated topic...or was it? LOL

Either book from the poll, I think it will be very fun to go through them together.
I'm game for either. I've not read the other completely and would love having a group discussion motivating me to complete it. So, even it if is done second, I'm game!

BTW - Good talking with you Bro. Gary - As usual.

Sorry we kept getting cut off. (Perhaps we should have been working? :eek: )

G

Gary

I'm game for either. I've not read the other completely and would love having a group discussion motivating me to complete it. So, even it if is done second, I'm game!

BTW - Good talking with you Bro. Gary - As usual.

Sorry we kept getting cut off. (Perhaps we should have been working? :eek: )
We were working...We were doing the work of Freemasonry! ;)

More accurately, You were Teaching, I was learning. :D

Always a pleasure to speak with you as well my Brother.

G

Gary

Hey Winter...It's a tie with three hours left. What do you do if it stays a tie by High noon? Flip a coin?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I'm hoping it turns out to be the Builders! I'm unemployed right now and can't afford a new book. I can get the Builders online.
I am also hoping it is The Builders . I am a DAV and on a very tight budget and can not afford a new book myself , it tis' the season to pay DUES.