Finally took the first step.... Question about the "home visit".

UFO

I had the honor of meeting with the secretary and a few members of my local lodge today. My petition was accepted and signed off on. It will be read at lodge next week! The 6 or 7 masons i met today were some of the nicest and most welcoming gentlemen ive met in a LONG time.... It was explained to me that after the petition is read and moved upon, that an "investigation committee" would come to my home to interview me.... They said it was really just a way to get to know me. Is there anything i should be prepared for them to ask? Or is it literally just them getting together with me to BS a bit? Is there anything i should ask them?
Im really nervous about it.... Im really excited about it too though... I cant wait to embark on my journey towards more light!

kblair210

First off, don't stress about it. It's a mostly casual visit for them to get to know you a bit better and for you to have the chance to ask any questions you may have prior to officially joining. It's not a test, there's no trick questions and they won't be attaching any electrodes to uncomfortable body parts. "Interview" should not be taken as the same as a job interview. They'll explain what you're getting into, make sure you're ok with it, make sure your significant other is ok with it, and answer any questions you come up with.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
First off, don't stress about it. It's a mostly casual visit for them to get to know you a bit better and for you to have the chance to ask any questions you may have prior to officially joining. It's not a test, there's no trick questions and they won't be attaching any electrodes to uncomfortable body parts. "Interview" should not be taken as the same as a job interview. They'll explain what you're getting into, make sure you're ok with it, make sure your significant other is ok with it, and answer any questions you come up with.
Just ignore the whips and chains :grouphug: , don't read ahead! In Wisconsin, there are 3 sets of questions and 3 men on the committee.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The IC is charged with representing the lodge and getting to know you a bit more before reporting to the lodge on their findings. A favorable report from all three members of the IC pretty much guarantees a favorable vote as the majority of those voting depend on the sponsor and the IC because they have no idea who you are.

When I'm on an IC, I verify all the answers on the Petition while watching the Petitioner. If I detect any BS, I follow up on it so just be honest. I then ask the man what he brings to the table (we would kiss the feet of a petitioner who could play the organ) and how he plans to contribute to the good of the fraternity. After that, I ask if he has any questions for us. Then I ask his partner is she has any questions.

It's a bit more than a casual chat but there are no wrong answers so long as they are honest.

DesertRacer

I remember the waiting time after petition. I had always pictured it in my mind that a plain white van would pull up to my house and take me away. LOL