Fishing

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
My 9 year old wanted to learn to fish- the first thing other than video games he has shown an interest in. So, I decided that I would take him.

I had not fished in years, however my father-in-law, who passed away, had some old gear.

Little did I know that I would get "hooked" myself. Already bought new gear. I live near the CA Delta, with the hardest part being trying to determine what we are fishing for.

With no boat available, we have only fished from piers and from the shore.

Not much luck yet, but I am grateful for the father-son time. Hoping my younger son gets an interest as well. I've had luck using fishing as a motivational tool for getting homework done.

So, any other fisherman out there? Thinking about kayak fishing- looks like fun.

Hoping that my Masonic journey is equally as fun.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
My 9 year old wanted to learn to fish- the first thing other than video games he has shown an interest in. So, I decided that I would take him.

I had not fished in years, however my father-in-law, who passed away, had some old gear.

Little did I know that I would get "hooked" myself. Already bought new gear. I live near the CA Delta, with the hardest part being trying to determine what we are fishing for.

With no boat available, we have only fished from piers and from the shore.

Not much luck yet, but I am grateful for the father-son time. Hoping my younger son gets an interest as well. I've had luck using fishing as a motivational tool for getting homework done.

So, any other fisherman out there? Thinking about kayak fishing- looks like fun.

Hoping that my Masonic journey is equally as fun.
That sounds great and best of luck.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I have a Malibu stealth 14 I fish from. Sadly, I have yet to get it out this year. Although the wife does push me to go from time to time.

This is when I picked her up. A nice birthday present to myself.

Attached is a dolphin who decided to scare away the fish on my first trip out.

Attachments

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I have a Malibu stealth 14 I fish from. Sadly, I have yet to get it out this year. Although the wife does push me to go from time to time.

I love that pic of you with your kayak. One day, I'd like to have one of those.

That water is awful murky......

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Actually, it's so clear that you can see the bottom. The "murky" look to it is from the minerals in the spring water. It gives it a light blue/green tint.

Actually, it's so clear that you can see the bottom. The "murky" look to it is from the minerals in the spring water. It gives it a light blue/green tint.
I guess my sarcasm didnt come across as intended..... up here, I dont think tap water is that clear....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You can see some more of 3 Sisters Springs here Outdoor Basecamp Forums - jason's Album: 3 Sister Springs / Kings Bay I have some more on my computer somewhere.

Gary the kayak I got from the guy on 19 there. KAYAK SALES AND KAYAK RENTALS IN CRYSTAL RIVER FLORIDA that is who, had to do a little search. Nice couple, gives a free safety/how-to course when you buy one. A few hours long and then you can kayak around for the day. Hobie is another popular fishing kayak. Hobie Cat Company - Kayaks You can "peddle" that one. There is a hybrid my brother was looking at. A mix of kayak and canoe. Cannot think of it now, but you pretty much get a shell and have to buy what you want. But it is more like a canoe getting in and out. I did not like that. I often will wade when I fish too, so the flat top works well for me. Will be nice if I ever get the chance to pick up diving too.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

You just posted this to make me jealous knowing how bad I want to move to Fla. !!!!

You just posted this to make me jealous knowing how bad I want to move to Fla. !!!!
I wanna move too.... not much of a fisherman but I do like the water....even if it isnt the normal brown/green I am used too...... not sure if I could trust that clear stuff....it just isnt right.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I get a kick out of the NO TRESPASSING sign on the tree in the back ground.

Yes, I AM jealous.

I agree with Fireman the water is too clear for me --- not enough stuff in it to float my b#tt. and surface tension doesn't work for me.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Not all water is that clear, trust me. The Gulf is getting pretty dirty. I remember when I first moved down how clear the water was. Now it looks horrible. We do have some great springs in the area. Used to be able to tub down the Weeki Wachee until they turned it into a State Park. That was a nice lazy day. Only about 1/2 hour 45 minutes away. If you got there early enough you could do the river twice. Now we have to drive up to Rainbow Springs. That is about an hour and half away.

But if I am rambling and if I wanted to get you down here, I would send you this:
Mermaid Shows

Weeki Wachee Mermaid Show - YouTube

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I think that is the place where Made in America filmed Larry the Cable Guy doing his impression of a mermaid (or was that a beached whale).

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I get a kick out of the NO TRESPASSING sign on the tree in the back ground.

Yes, I AM jealous.

I agree with Fireman the water is too clear for me --- not enough stuff in it to float my b#tt. and surface tension doesn't work for me.
They make it very clear you are not to leave the water. You are not even supposed to tie up to a tree there. I guess there was a problem a few years back with people littering and destroying the area. That place gets very packed. The entrance is very narrow, attached is a picture of the widest entrance point. And water flows out pretty quickly. The second is our sea cows here. Had one that came up about a foot after me when tubing the above river. Is the third picture muddy enough for you?

Attachments

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I think that is the place where Made in America filmed Larry the Cable Guy doing his impression of a mermaid (or was that a beached whale).
It could be. My Grandpa used to take me there when we visited from New York all the time. I haven't been there since they turned it into a State Park other then to rent kayaks one time. BTW, do not rent kayaks there. Some of the worst kayaks I've used. I'll bring my own and pay the extra fees. They have or had not sure, a great animal show.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Do they get any logs out of there???? I am in the market for a new career.....
Not to my knowledge. There are some in some fresh water rivers I would like removed. But I'm told one of those logging shows does film in north Florida. Not going to get me in there with the turtles, snakes and gators. Water as clear as you see is rare.

Not to my knowledge. There are some in some fresh water rivers I would like removed. But I'm told one of those logging shows does film in north Florida. Not going to get me in there with the turtles, snakes and gators. Water as clear as you see is rare.
OH...I dont think I would get in the water with them either..... I would need to hire a hillbilly or two to get that done....lol