Fleas

JohnQ

Help! My dog has fleas!! Any ideas on how I can get rid of them without having to use a whole bunch of chemicals? I have a little one in the house and I would rather avoid that.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Here is what I did when I first moved into my house which had fleas. I took some M7 (I think that is what it is called at least, I think it is just borax & something else), which is a fine powder. I sprinkled it on any carpet surface, swept it in with a broom. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then vacuumed up. Used Ortho home defense around the house in the yard. I would not have the kids in the house for the m7 part.

Eucalyptus leaves, plant some around the house if you can. Fleas hate the smell.

An inexpensive way to rid your yard of fleas is to sprinkle DE (diatomaceous Earth) all over the yard. Use food grade DE that's available in health food stores. Putting cedar chips along your fence line will keep the fleas from other people's yards out of your yard, as cedar repels fleas.

I have also been told to feed the dog garlic. But that leaves really bad breath.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Those are some good tips Jason , some of which I use like the cedar chips . I line the entire perimeter of my fence line with cedar chips and moth balls (for the snakes) .

But John Q you should still treat your dogs also , or all the other things will be for nothing . Do not get cheap flea control like bio-spot or Hartz because they have been known to cause neurological disorders in dogs . As the old saying goes , you get what you pay for .