Florida.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Hi,

I'm taking my little camper to Florida to visit my Dad the week of 4/18/2014. The plan is to leave the frozen North of Massachusetts on Friday and drive to Alexandria, VA. I'll be staying in that area on Friday evening and taking in the George Washington Masonic Memorial on Saturday.

I'll be hitting the road again on Saturday afternoon. Since my Dad lives near Miami, I was thinking it might be a better ride to take a break on Saturday evening somewhere between Charleston and Savannah. Does anybody have a Masonic Building parking lot I can spend a night in? I'm completely self-contained and you're welcome to come by for a beer.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Don't know any that way. But I've got a large yard and a spare bedroom just north of Tampa.
Thanks, Jason.

I already have reservations at the Easterlin Park in Oakland Park, FLA From Sunday through Friday of that week. Come on by and we can burn a couple of steaks. Since I'm driving alone, I was looking to spend no more than 8 hrs on the road per day. Savannah or Charleston seems about right for a stopping point.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Thanks, Jason.

I already have reservations at the Easterlin Park in Oakland Park, FLA From Sunday through Friday of that week. Come on by and we can burn a couple of steaks. Since I'm driving alone, I was looking to spend no more than 8 hrs on the road per day. Savannah or Charleston seems about right for a stopping point.
Thanks. The past year has been a bit crazy though. I was hoping for things to slow down a bit this year but does not seem to be happening. But at least I got work to do, so I cannot complain. Would love to try and get some time off to meet up though. I think Miami area is about 5 or 6 hours away. I have not been down that way since I was about 17 though.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Well, the trip was good. I spent some time with my father and had some time to do a bit of kayaking.

Every Mason should see the George Washington Masonic National Memorial at least once in his life. The place was amazing.

I just started a new job this week and don't know much about my travel schedule but I may be seeing some of you in person. I do know my next two trips will be in June: first to Missouri and then to France.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
France, huh.
What Grand Lodge do we (most American GLs) recognize in France?

S&F

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Glad to hear the trip went good. Did you get hit by any of that bad weather? How was the kayaking?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Glad to hear the trip went good. Did you get hit by any of that bad weather? How was the kayaking?
I arrived on the first nice day they had in a week and left as the rain was about to return. The GAOTU was smiling on me.

The kayaking was very nice. I paddle a 14 foot boat and am used to being on the open ocean. As a result, I have pretty much every piece of safety equipment I can carry and am in the habit of regularly testing it and my ability to use it. I've had people call the Coast Guard when I purposely rolled my boat to practice wet exits :)

I read a web site that pointed out the "best" paddling spots in the area I was staying. The first one I went to was "Whiskey Creek" in the John U. Lloyd State Park near Ft. Lauderdale. With directions from the Ranger at the gate, I put in at a small boating area near "Colored Beach".

Colored Beach has a great history. It seems in the 1960s there were no beaches where African Americans could swim. The majority of the coast was private beaches and the only public ones were "Whites Only". John U. Lloyd was a local politician (white) who took the cause on and was instrumental in designating this beach for the use of African Americans, thus sparking the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement.

Here's the story if you want to learn more: https://www.broward.org/Library/History/Documents/LongHardFightEqualRightsTequesta.pdf

The creek was flat and calm. It seems like it was about 3-4 miles long. Nobody but I had even a PFD on as if you flipped your boat, you would hit your head on the bottom. It was a nice paddle with lots of birds, fish and no snakes or alligators. I got a call from my Dad the first day I was there and left before completing the whole creek so I came back the next day, too.

West Lake was my next paddling spot. There was a kayak rental place with sit-on-top boats. I own a SOT that I use for fishing, they sacrifice speed for stability. The nice guy at the rental place gave me a trail map of the area and I spent a pleasant day snaking my way through all the trails through the lovely mangroves. I saw a flock of Egrets, an Osprey, a Great Blue Heron, and a couple of wading birds I couldn't identify.

There was one young man who must have been bored with the pace his family was setting on their rented boats. He challenged me to a race. I suggested we race to the nature center about a mile away. He gulped and agreed. It only took about ten seconds to show him the difference between his boat and mine ;)

Since my Dad had caused a minor car accident, I was not able to get to the water other than those days as he needed my help with the reporting process. All in all, a nice trip but I think it's time for the "Do you think you should still be driving?" talk with Dad.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Since my Dad had caused a minor car accident, I was not able to get to the water other than those days as he needed my help with the reporting process. All in all, a nice trip but I think it's time for the "Do you think you should still be driving?" talk with Dad.[/QUOTE]

I don't envy you having this talk with your dad at all.

Last edited:

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a recognized Grand Lodge in France.
I got curious so I emailed the Grand Secretary's office. It turns out the GLNF is recognized but we don't have Fraternal Relations. Since this is mostly a political thing at the GL level, I am getting a letter of introduction for a GLNF lodge in the town I'm going to from my GL. This should be interesting as I don't speak french at all ;)