Frugality

Leslie

Since things have been so tight the last couple of years, I have found a new hang out, Salvation Army. I have found some great pieces of clothing for almost nothing. I have also rediscovered my love of crafts which makes for some inexpensive gifts.

What things have you changed in the last few years do to the economy?

G

Gary

I've started canning vegetables and fruits when I get the chance. My folks did it for years, so I get together with them and do it. It's not only economical, it's fun too.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I stay off the roads unless I absolutely have to leave the house to save on gas . I now order all my pet/aquarium supplies on-line as it is much cheaper than supporting my local pet stores .

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
I drive my wife's fuel effecient car more than my gas guzzeling pickup truck, and then drive only when necessary to save gas. Unfortunately, I've started going to the Super Walmart for food as opposed to the locally owned grocery store, and my wife has become quite the coupon clipper.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I do not go out as often, stay at home more. Started dehydrating foods, and hopefully next year I plan to learn to can and preserve foods in other methods. I hope to have a larger garden next year too.

intent

New ways of doing things

We have started trying to be more frugal as well. We grow our own garden and preserve our own food. We have also cut down on driving as much as we can. Every little bit helps.

Leslie

@Jason, how do you dehydrate food? Did you buy a machine?

Can someone recommend a good website for someone that wants the basics in canning? I know absolutely nothing about canning, and want to learn to do it right.

johnny

My dad does all the canning, but I like when he gives me some. We went down to one car for a year and a half to save money, wife cuts coupons and shops sales, and we use craigslist/ebay/salvation army frequently.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I hate canning but this goes back to being forced to do it when I was a boy when I wanted to be out in the barn , fields or in the hills working with my grandpa . But I have several lodge borthers who can and they load me up every year with fresh veggies from their garden .

emarsh

We killed the satellite tv and since my business collapsed we've simply had to stop paying on some loans. The money just isn't there. Most important things: our mortgage, vehicle payments, utilities, food and some insurance. Everything else has had to fall to the wayside.

Here's one thing that saves us money, makes our water taste better and is healthier than all those nasty corn syrup loaded sodas: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/

I'm working more, making less but hopefully we'll survive the hard times.

Starlight

emarsh, I hear you. My husband just left the company he was working at for another one that might not pay more at the beginning but will treat him better as time goes by. He is an independent contractor and they were taking advantage of him.

We are also killing satellite, and many other incidentals. We have been lucky to have been able to make payments on everything we owe even though we owe a lot. More salvation army, store brands and making sure we cut excess every where we can.

I am pretty sure we will survive the bad times. We are people of faith and God never leave us.

Sammy

Wow I have done almost everything listed! I cut the cable, we only go out to eat once a month (if that), don't leave the house unless I have too, cut coupons, can food, and shop at thrift stores/ebay/craigslist for deals.

Robby

I think it's been really rough on everyone. It's not quite a depression but it's getting pretty close. I cannot count the number of friends I have who have advanced degrees from college who have taken jobs at fast food restaurants and convenience stores. It's rough right now. I've cancelled cable TV and honestly I've had to leave some bills go unpaid. For example, I have insurance that pays 80% of the cost for hospital and doctor's office visits. I've just let the insurance pay and I've had to just leave the rest sit or pay $5 a month on the bill if it's important. I hate being a deadbeat but we do survive.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Huh , This is the first I have ever heard of this Soda Stream . I only drink water and coffee but the wife drinks a lot of pop .

Just the other day, I was talking with the better half about finding ways to get a few extra bucks....was setting at the computer reading so stuff when I got an email notification on my Blackberry.... I opened it from the BB....then it dawned on me... I am setting at the computer connected to the internet opening my email from my phone.... I use the text messaging 98% of the time and its free...so I got my family close to a 480 a year raise by dropping my data plan from my phone....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is why the wife and I have no data plans on our phones , to save money . We both have laptops and if we have to get on the ineternet , we will have to suck it up and *gulp* wait till we get home .

I found it funny when the young kid who sold us our phones last year tried to get me to sign up for a data plan and I told him we didn't need it . He asked me "How are going to get on the ineternet when your out?" and I told him that we did not need to , I have a computer at home . He looked at me like I was a caveman . So I asked , Oh , how did we get to where we are today without being in constant contact with one another with home phones , cell phones , e-mail , facebook and Twitter !? He said "EXACTLY !" and he was serious .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
On a sort of side note on this thread. My Christmas present came today. A food slicer. I am someone who loves lunch meat, but hates the price. $8-$10+ a pound is crazy. Now I can smoke my own meat, with my own flavoring, and slice it up for sandwiches. I am sure the wife will get more uses out of it then I will too. Not to mention I can slice my own beef jerky now too.

G

Gary

On a sort of side note on this thread. My Christmas present came today. A food slicer. I am someone who loves lunch meat, but hates the price. $8-$10+ a pound is crazy. Now I can smoke my own meat, with my own flavoring, and slice it up for sandwiches. I am sure the wife will get more uses out of it then I will too. Not to mention I can slice my own beef jerky now too.
You can't beat fresh sliced lunch meats. Smoked meat, and beef jerky sounds delish!