Funny looks lol

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I gave a brother/friend a bunch of my "baby" African Violets (I have them all over the house !!!) . We were talking about them in front of a bunch of the brethren (Grand Master lol) and the looks we were receiving were priceless . Two men talking about proper care of flowers .

I guess what some find peace and joy in , others find odd . My Grandfather's love of plants rubbed off on me .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I go to Renaissance Faires dressed in kilt etc. We 'Scots' have been know to stand around in the afternoon and discuss sewing.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think I am going to start composting . I have A LOT of old , used up potting soil that I want to mix with compost and reuse . Potting soil is expensive and I hate wasting it every year . The thing with African Violets is that you can not use regular potting soil , it is a mix of course Vermiculite and Perlite (and to get fancy , a Sphagnum peat mix) . Regular potting soil is too compact for proper aeration and root growth . I pull the AVs' every six months , break up the soil around the root ball , dump old soil and re-pot . This takes a huge hit also as I have as many as 20 AVs'.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
One of the best books I think out there. http://www.amazon.com/Let-Rot-Composting-Down---Earth/dp/1580170234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375054843&sr=8-1&keywords=composting Goes into a lot of detail on composting.

However, I do vermicomposting so this book was a must read. http://www.amazon.com/Worms-Eat-My-Garbage-Composting/dp/0977804518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375054872&sr=8-1&keywords=worms+eat+my+garbage

Not sure about the requirements for AVs. I knew someone who ran a big forum just for things like them and other flowering plants. Not sure if he still runs it or not, but can find out and send you the link if interested. As you may have guess by my size I'm all about eating my hard work. ;)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Honestly, composting is not that difficult. But if you need to turn it over quick those books will help. Amazon also sells bags made for composting. I use them in an old coffee container to hold the food until I toss it into my bin.