garden

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
So my first year really trying to have a good garden in containers. Outlook. Not so good.

The carrots have grown well already, and gotten a few, but they are rather thin.

The corn was a flop. Not sure what I did wrong, but it was growing great and fast then just turned brown and stopped doing anything.

Peas grew well, but no peas yet.

Blueberries are doing great. The rest of the plants are, eh. Not as well as in the ground, but still getting veggies off of them. Oh, I also had a blackberry plant that I bought on sale as it was near death and brought it back to life.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I want to try to grow my own blueberries . I love them but they are so expensive to buy . Same with black berries . I have domestic black berries in my back yard . berries as big as my thumb . I need to cut it all down this fall because trees are growing in the bramble and I need to get them cut down and the roots removed .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I grew up with wild blueberries, strawberriers, blackberries and raspberries. Growing my own is close, but not sure if it is as good. Then again, half the fun was going out into the woods to find them and who could find the most.

Blueberries are easy to grow, at least I think so. Give them lots of sunlight, and slightly acidic soil that has good drainage and they will grow like wildfire.

wes

Wish I had room in yard to have a garden. I would love to be able to have a produce or market stand.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I grew up with wild blueberries, strawberriers, blackberries and raspberries. Growing my own is close, but not sure if it is as good. Then again, half the fun was going out into the woods to find them and who could find the most.

Blueberries are easy to grow, at least I think so. Give them lots of sunlight, and slightly acidic soil that has good drainage and they will grow like wildfire.
I think next year I will give them a shot . Right now I am having problems with my roses . For some reason they are not doing well this year .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Not familiar with growing roses. I wish I could help. I can try asking around though.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think they may be snapping out of it now . I have been using the water from my aquariums after my partial water changes to water them with , that water is great for plants . They just seem to be stunted this year .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
When my mother in law was still alive she gave me a pointer that seems to work well on roses. Sometimes when we buy bananas they will sometimes go bad on us and Mildred said to put those old nasty looking bananas at the base of the roses and let them decay into the ground and feed the rose plant. I have done this and it seemed to make a little difference. We have a 40 - 50 year old old fashioned rose bush that we do this to.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That is a great idea . I use my Water from my aquarium which is great for plants , a lot of nutrients and nitrates from the fish waste . I also , if I lose a fish , is bury it close to the base of my roses .