Garden

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Anyone doing a garden this year? I'm debating about trying a pot garden. Ok, get your mind off of that, I'm just talking about using planting pots to grow some veggies. Anyone try this?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I use 5 gallon buckets to grow tomatoes . Works out great , drill some holes and dump in some river gravel in the bottom before you put in the soil to help with drainage . Easy as pie and no weeding . My brother has used the bucket method for hot peppers also .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You ever try potatoes in it? I'm debating if I want to grow some this year or not.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No , I've never planted potatoes in that manner . I don't know how well they would do , but it never hurt trying it though .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
growing potatoes

No , I've never planted potatoes in that manner . I don't know how well they would do , but it never hurt trying it though .
Ever let potatoes go to seed, then plant the seeds?
I saw an article in National Geographic about potatoes some years ago, and they said that seeds of potatoes return to the wide genetic diversity in the genome and the usual way we plant grows clones. They had a picture of about 150 varieties grown in Peru. Most looked like...uh...droppings.
They said the flavor varieties were amazing compared to what we get.

BTW, the Irish potato famine was in the 1840s. Potatoes were a New World crop. What did the Irish eat before 1492?? :)

S&F

G

Gary

It get's too cold up where I live, so I plan on putting several things in pots this year. I'm going to do bananas, pineapple, and probably some tomatoes.

I also plan on some strawberries in pots. Outside of that. i'm going to try some raised beds if I can figure a way to keep the squirrels at bay...:rolleyes:

My ultimate goal is to build a small green house when my brother gets down here from North Carolina.