Gardening vs. squirrels

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
This year I decided to plant some more pineapple. Last year I had one actually bear fruit (that can take two years to happen), and just before I could pick it a squirrel ate a good portion of the fruit. To add insult to injury, last winter was brutal and the plants froze and died despite my efforts to protect them.

I decided to replant some new ones this year, but instead I put them in pots instead of the ground. Next problem... The squirrels LOVE to dig in the pots and uproot the plants. Solution???

I went to the store and got some blue aquarium gravel and used it as a mulch in the pots. I have gone a good four months without one single episode of the squirrels digging. I'm guessing that they think the blue gravel is water? What ever the reason, my plants are doing great. I just thought I'd share that tip if anyone has problems with squirrels digging in their potted plants.

Winter

I've been here before
I like the squirrels. I've never begrudged them anything in my garden. :D But, I'm odd like that.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I feel like Bro. Winter, we have a raspberry bush in the backyard that was 'planted' by a visiting bird. So if birds wants some berries, "have at".

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I don't mind sharing if there is enough to go around, but when it takes you two years to grow a fruit you'd generally like to be able to eat it yourself!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
This year I decided to plant some more pineapple. Last year I had one actually bear fruit (that can take two years to happen), and just before I could pick it a squirrel ate a good portion of the fruit. To add insult to injury, last winter was brutal and the plants froze and died despite my efforts to protect them.

I decided to replant some new ones this year, but instead I put them in pots instead of the ground. Next problem... The squirrels LOVE to dig in the pots and uproot the plants. Solution???

I went to the store and got some blue aquarium gravel and used it as a mulch in the pots. I have gone a good four months without one single episode of the squirrels digging. I'm guessing that they think the blue gravel is water? What ever the reason, my plants are doing great. I just thought I'd share that tip if anyone has problems with squirrels digging in their potted plants.
I like the squirrels. I've never begrudged them anything in my garden. :D But, I'm odd like that.
Squirrels are just rats with better PR!

I don't have a squirrel problem on my property. The dachshunds keep the place policed for birds and squirrels and rabbits.
Now, if I can just get someone to teach them how to raise a garden; I don't have the talent or the time. :D

[maybe a little less than...] S&F

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I call them tree rats! LOL
I'm surprised up in your area they are not called stew. A few around here call them that.

An interesting side note, there is a pure black squirrel in my neighborhood. Only seen him a few times.