Geometry

G

Gary

Pythagoras or Archimedes... Who gets credit for saying Eureka, and being the most influencial in Freemasonry's teaching of the importance of Geometry?

G

Gary

Alright, you know who got credit. Who was the architect of the problem? <hint> his name didn't start with a P. :D

Pythagoras was a philosopher who studied symbols, not a mathmetician.

Archimedes on the other hand was. Pythagoras got credit because he was able to prove the theory, not because he invented the problem in the first place.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Alright, you know who got credit. Who was the architect of the problem? <hint> his name didn't start with a P. :D

Pythagoras was a philosopher who studied symbols, not a mathmetician.

Archimedes on the other hand was. Pythagoras got credit because he was able to prove the theory, not because he invented the problem in the first place.
Very true, but you asked "who got credit..". ;)

G

Gary

Haha! You got me there... That's what I get for posting before I had my coffee... :D

G

Gary

It's called the Pythagorean theorem for a reason. LOL
Ah, therein lies the issue. He didn't create the problem, he validated it. My pre-coffee ramble was a futile attempt to spark discussion as to who was actually the creator of the problem in the first place. As Bro. Patrick pointed out, bad wording on my part, and my bad for not having my coffee first! LOL

Yes, everyone knows that Pythagoras got "credit" for it. Funny thing was that he wasn't even known as a mathematician at the time. He was a philosopher. He probably had no interest in the practical uses for the problems, but more so the use of the symbolism behind the problem.

The real question is, even though there are 88 problems in Euclidian theory, who was responsible for the 47th?

It wasnt me...LOL....wait a second... I dont drink coffee and havent had my usual number of energy drinks...but when I see someone asking "who is responsible for a problem"...I deny I was involved...LOL

Seiously though....I posed this question els where and would like to hear from the Brothers here.... am I wrong for not really getting the esoteric side of Masonry??? Am I still too new (raised in April 2010)..... I have always been one to see things for face value and not look for hidden meanings....

I do honestly welcome your thoughts and any suggestions for furthering my understandings

G

Gary

Well, it IS a system of morality, veiled in allegory, and illustrated by symbols.

As a newly raised Mason, it's probable that you never considered the esoteric side of Masonry. Freemasonry is anything but "face value" in it's symbolism.

I can tell you with certainty that each and every thing you've experienced in the degrees has a deeper meaning. Studying the how and why of each of those symbols/ tools that were talked about will definitely enrich your life.

Pike's book Esoterika is a great way to study the symbolism in the Blue Lodge. There have been other good books recommended in the literature/ reading threads here on this forum as well.

He poses questions regarding each symbol. Why this tool? why that symbol? and offers validation for their use, and encourages further study and inner reflection of the things held sacred in the Craft. He really makes you think about things you may have taken for granted.

You are not wrong, it's just that you've probably not considered why...

Actually, I've proposed a discussion thread idea to the other MODS regarding this very thing. If they agree, I'll be more than willing to post topics for further analysis. None of these things are in violation of our obligation, as our symbols are not secret, nor is their meaning. The books are available to the public at large, and Pike does not discuss ritual, or our other secrets either.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
It wasnt me...LOL....wait a second... I dont drink coffee and havent had my usual number of energy drinks... am I wrong for not really getting the esoteric side of Masonry??

I do honestly welcome your thoughts and any suggestions for furthering my understandings
Fireman, if you wanna be a true and complete Mason, then you have to start drinking coffee. This is the stuff that our fraternity is fueled on. No substitute will do.

Just kidding, but ... wait, no I'm not! Start drinking coffee NOW, brother! ;)

Maybe that is my problem....coffee...hmmm...I do like the way it smells, we will see how it goes.

GaryE...thanks for your thoughts... also as a Brother FF, I figured you would say coffee too...LOL

berthemp

People actually get by WITHOUT coffee?!?!?! We in the Border patrol would shrivel up and fade to dust without it. That and snuff. :p

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
People actually get by WITHOUT coffee?!?!?! We in the Border patrol would shrivel up and fade to dust without it. That and snuff. :p
Nawwww ... people just SAY that they get along without coffee. We all know that the human body will just not function without coffee. Not just caffeine, mind you, but the caffeine provided by coffee.

Snuff, however, it the stuff of the devil.

PATRICK my friend:D....... MONSTERS are the nectar of the godz..............of which I am in GREAT NEED:eek:............dont make me walk to WI from OH and........:cool:hey, does anyone know what the square root of a oblong square is......:confused: