Geometry

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Heck.... I wish I could "get it"........47th Problem of Euclid.....I only have 10 fingers & toes...cant count to 47...LOL
If you do a binary progress (powers of 2) you can get to 1024 with your hands, add in your toes are your are at 1,048,576.

G

Gary

OK, Don't let Bro. Russ scare you off...I'll fire up the weed whacker and blaze a trail through the weeds for you...

The Pythagorean Theorem, also known as the
47th Problem of Euclid or 3:4:5:

"In any right triangle, the sum of the squares of the two sides is equal to the square of the hypotenuse." (the hypotenuse of a right triangle...which is the longest "leg"...or the 5 side of the 3:4:5:).

The Right Triangle, below, shows the sides of 3, 4 and 5. The angle created between the 3 (side) and the 4 (side) is the Right angle of the square.

The square of 3 is 9.

The square of 4 is 16. The sum of 9 and 16 is 25. (25 represents the hypotenuse).

The square root of 25 is 5.

Therefore, the equation is written: 3:4:5:

Not too bad eh?

G

Gary

Computer/math geeks...Gotta love em... ;) :D

Can you write binary code too? I learned how to do that in High school, but have since forgotten most of what I learned.

I'm no math whiz by any means. I use the KISS method. Being that my passion is astronomy, a little knowledge of geometry helps. It helps with the symbolism in Freemasonry too.

G

Gary

LOL... Ya know...That's down right sneaky... :eek:

Now I'm going to lose sleep. My OCD is going to act up, and I won't be able to figure out those cyphers... I hated binary in school. Argh.... This won't be pretty folks....:eek:

CoachN

Builder Builder
LOL... Ya know...That's down right sneaky... :eek:

Now I'm going to lose sleep. My OCD is going to act up, and I won't be able to figure out those cyphers... I hated binary in school. Argh.... This won't be pretty folks....:eek:
Yup. I give hints about it in Chapter XI Volume III :D

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
If you do a binary progress (powers of 2) you can get to 1024 with your hands, add in your toes are your are at 1,048,576.
WOW! Someone else knows that!
I've been counting like that on my fingers since 7th grade.
I can add, subtract, and multiply, but I've never figured out how to divide!

thanks

CoachN

Builder Builder
WOW! Someone else knows that!
I've been counting like that on my fingers since 7th grade.
I can add, subtract, and multiply, but I've never figured out how to divide!

thanks
If I remember correctly, use the Two's complement to divide.

If that fails, use a knife. :p

Bob Franks

binary (digital) multiplication

If I remember correctly, use the Two's complement to divide.

If that fails, use a knife. :p
My multiplication is more complex than chain addition.
Multiply, say seven times ten
Seven is right thumb, index, and long fingers (0, 1, 2)
Ten is right index and ring fingers (1, 3)
Start with seven (0, 1, 2)
Drop the ling finger (ten doesn't use the 0 position)
Raise ring finger and left thumb (ten is 1 and 3 positions)
[continued next post]

Bob Franks

can't post

why do I keep getting an error message that tells me to tell the administrator what I may have done wrong???

Doesn't it like my ratty bathrobe?

I can't seem to post the other 10 or so line of the explanation, but I have them saved.