GM's Mass Raising

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Recently the GM performed a Mass MM degree to confer on 18 Brothers who received the 1st 2 degrees in their local Blue Lodge. All Brothers were "RAISED" by the GM and each will have to return their exam in their Lodge within the specified deadline.

During a meeting with the DGM some Brothers raised there concerns over ODCers just being show Masons. He responded that the GM of OK or a PGM (recent) was a ODC and look.

RANDOM FYI

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
This IMHO is different than a ODC. Sure, there are some who get busy in Freemasonry after a ODC. The stigma still remains that a vast majority who go that route never do the Work required of them like those Brethren that have gone about it the traditional way. For that matter, one could question if ODC vs. Traditional methods even play a role in a Brother becoming a GM. Just as in any political election, the real factor in that game is money. Lots and lots of it.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
On the GL level of NE there has been a concern about the ODC. The following information was compiled as well as some ideas that are to be brought up before the Fraternity at the Annual Fall Area Meetings. This concerns all of us in Masonry.
Recent events in Nebraska Masonry have prompted the Grand Master to examine the state of the Craft as it relates to membership retention. After pulling the data on all Master Masons raised since 1995, some disturbing trends were discovered. We have a dropout rate for suspension for non-payment of dues (SNPD) of 30% overall for Masons raised in the traditional manner. For Masons raised through One-Day classes the dropout rate due to SNPD is even higher at 38% overall. Some Lodges have a dropout rate of 40% to over 50% of their One-Day candidates.

This last statement makes me think that the ODC should be dropped. It is as if the Lodges can't or don't want to do the work to raise and mentor a Brother and get him excited about Freemasonry. And they think that having somebody else do the work will help keep the Brother in the Fraternity.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
In concerns to the class itself i agree. I like the way it was done this year and I found out the GM of PHA of OH did the same. The same weekend!

Winter

I've been here before
My concern (and serious dislike) of One Day Clases (ODC) has to do with the fact that in an organization like ours, a supposedly Initiatic Rite that takes a man on a journey towards Enlightment, is absolutely, physically impossible to accomplish in one day. Which, completes flies in the face of our raison d'etere.

Although, it appears that what the GM of OH did was only the 3rd in a mass setting. I stand by my initial argument. For any Brother who has been Raised, the 3rd is an amazing experience. One that truly makes a mark on a man's life. How is it possible to conduct that ritual in a mass setting?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I have watched all 3 degrees done en mass and individual. I would rather have a Brother wait than have him get the group experience. We shouldn't deny a complete experience to any one. I recently joined another forum, their vetting process was interesting in that they asked the typical knowledge questions, BUT they didn't ask for the words or actions, they asked for for my interpretation of what I experienced. It was more thought provoking to contemplate what I had internalized than to rattle off chunks of ritual.