Greetings from Western Canada

Drew

Hello.

I am not a Freemason...but I believe I will one day.

For the past year or so I have been increasingly interesting in Freemasonry.

Throughout my entire life I thought of myself as an atheist, or agnostic. It wasn't until recently that I began to feel something of a presence. If only sitting in the back yard in my garden, enjoying the sun and it's warmth, I've began to feel at one with something.

Along with this has been a strong feeling that there is much going on in this world that we don't know about. There have been way too many times that I have suddenly had an urge to talk to some one, or wonder how they've been, just to run in to them at the store fifteen minutes later.

I suppose I feel that Freemasonry may be the path to better understand the world and associate with others who have intellectual and spiritual interests. I have heard from some that it's simply an old boy club to get away from the wives, and also that it is an esoteric society. I honestly don't know what to think, as I have yet to meet one, unless they simply haven't told me.

About six months ago I had dinner with my family and my grandma came up to me near the end of the night informing me that my grandpa had "some rings" that he wanted me to have. He was a big part of his community, the president of his yatch club in his town for a time, longshoreman etc, so I have some kind of feeling that he may be a Freemason. I was caught quite off guard as I wasn't quite as informed as I am now of Freemasonry, at that time.

All the while these past months I've been quite drawn to your society, and it almost feels like fate that it would turn out that my grandfather is in fact part of it.

I am heading up there on Saturday and would like any advice on anything really. I am 24 and have moved back in to my mother's house to get back on my feet financially. I have paid off most of it and am almost ready to move back out on my own, and was planning on holding off on contacting a lodge, until I can present myself a bit better. My mom is quite dysfunctional and I wouldn't want that to be seen.

I was told by some one on another board to find a lodge with people close to my age.

Anyway, that's my story as pertains to Freemasonry. This all seriously feels like it is fate, as odd as that may sound.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Welcome to this site Drew. Any questions you have feel free to ask and I hope we can oblige you as far as we can.

Spirituality is not easily defined and is very personal to each person. Freemasonry requires you to have a faith in a supreme being, but as an organization we do not define that faith, that is for you to do. Fate is a fickle thing and I have some amazing, and crazy, stories that I feel the Divine intervened in.

Well, I'm not sure what part of Western Canada you're from, but here are the links to the Canadian Grand Lodges:

Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon

If you go to Member Services and then click on "Lodges of the Jurisdiction" it will list out all of the Lodges.

This website has a great research site on it and it is filled with great articles about Freemasonry.

Grand Lodge of Alberta

If you click on "Districts" and select a District name it will list out all the Lodges in that town.​

Good luck visiting the Lodge.

Fireman

Welcome to Freemason Hall, lots of good information here and people to help you out. I am just getting started also, Initiation is this Saturday.